Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-17-2004, 09:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hurricane Ivan Aftermath Help

Hello all. I'm in Pensacola in the midst of the hurricane aftermath. Thankfully there was no damage to my home. I merely had a few pieces of fence blown down and several snapped pine trees. I know I was one of the lucky ones. However, I am concerned about my tank. I have battery powered pumps constantly going, and every hour I am also trying to manually create oxygenation. I tested the water today and ammonia was zero, nitrates <10, but the pH was a little low (7.8 or a little less). Should I be concerned with this? I don't have much saltwater made and ready and made all I could before the storm but that's only 10 gallons. I plan on doing a one gallon water change tomorrow (my tank is 60 gallons so I don't know if that would even do any good). I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what else I could do.

TIA!

In its great blue whales, hunted even to
between houses, an entire people was
dreaming of a less silent light.
BlueDolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 09:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

try adding some ph buffer to ur new water before u change it

Old 09-17-2004, 09:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't have pH butter. Any other ideas? Will this low of pH pose any kinds of immediate problems?

Old 09-17-2004, 10:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Do you have any baking soda? You can use that to buffer as well. I would try and get that up a little. Its not belly up low, but I would work on it.
I would do some water change too. How long do they think the power will be out??
Glad to hear you are OK!!!
Old 09-17-2004, 10:17 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

7.8 for a dark tank is fine, do not add buffer!! Your very likely to experience a ph spike when the power comes on and the tank is lit. Have some frozen water bottle handy to chill the water a bit and keep up the circulation, not too much else you can do. Temp is going to become an issue fast. I lost a few hundred worth of acros due to power outage when Frances came through, temp was the problem I had, tank got to 95 degrees during the day and didn't drop too much in the evening.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 10:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
OK, I stand corrected.
what you can do (if your already not) is point the powerheads toward the surface to get surface agitation. This may help as well.
IMO, still monitor it, to make sure it doesn't continue to drop.
Old 09-17-2004, 10:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Glad to hear you made it through OK. You could try using a turkey baster to create some bursts of current for the corals periodically. We are pulling for you.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 09:49 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
and just one cautionary word on the use of baking soda in general....a little goes a LONG way.
Old 09-18-2004, 12:36 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks so much for all of your replies! I can't get the forum too often as I am trying to conserve the battery power of my laptop. They said the power could be out anywhere from 2 weeks to months!!! I ordered a generator before the storm so I'm hoping that it will be able to be delivered soon. I was going to do a very small water change, but the pH of that water is low also. Everything else seems fine so far. The temp is holding at 77.7 so I am pleased. I did float a bottle of ice in there earlier but my freezer has since become much warmer and I don't have much of anything left. My percula clown is opercular pumpinp more than normal. I have been scooping water and pouring it back in the tank. Do you all think that this (in addition to the two small battery powered air pumps) will be sufficient for oxygenation???

Thanks again!

Old 09-18-2004, 02:49 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with reefrunner for a dark tank that is fine and IMO adding anything to the tank will just make matters worse. Good luck with the power issue...
A couple of us in NY were talking about buying a bunch of generators and renting a truck and driving down south and selling them.. I hear that they are getting up to $2000 for a generator. Is that true? Thats crazy.....

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com