Hurt anenome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drummev

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
New to forum and see that anemone gets long and thin if light is not adequate. I bought a pink tip 2 weeks ago. A Clarkii Clown lives in him. The anemone eats silversides, brine shrimp but is in a 10 gal tank with a standard florescent light. Does it need a stronger light? I only have one other small damsel in the tank and a fine sand substrate.
The tank is 2 months old but cycled by using water and live rock from an older tank that had too much rock in it.
Can any one help?

how many watts? i kind doubt that standard florescents are going to be enough. Might get lucky if you have a lot of wattage over it since the tank will be very shallow.

I'm not certain how many watts but will check at Petco where i purchased the hood. I am now keeping the blinds open for sunlight to get in also- is this ok for them? It's cold here in Chicago and the sun is not warming the tanks

That light is made to light up the tank, not to grow anything. Its not bright enough. You need a good flow and plenty of light for anemones to grow. from what ive read they arent so easy to care for.. You would need to upgrade your lights to a t5 or power compact (PC) lights.

Thanks- I'll get new lights

I think I need to upgrade the whole tank, with new lights, add wave maker and a protein skimmer. This ten gal was originally just for fresh water fish.
I have an empty 30 gal I can set up and do a fishless cycle and then add the 2 fish and the anemone.
I'll get good lights and a good protein skimmer also.
Thanks again for taking the time to help an inexperienced fish lover. I hate for my lack of knowledge to end up hurting an animal! And the LFS is not telling me what these animals really need.

patience is what I've been told it takes and I am working on being more patient than with my fresh water aquariums - they are so easy compared to salt water. My fresh water fish are healthy and happy. They know me and I get so much pleasure from them. I hope to have the same with my salt water friends. I think Research and Patience are the two things I need to work on!
Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom