Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-06-2010, 02:23 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

It will take a few weeks for the biowheel to become coated with the beneficial bacteria. There is almost no bacteria in the water column so using old water from the DT tank does nothing and just brings dirty water over to the QT.

When you say you added fresh water, did you add any salt mix to bring it to the same SG as the DT?

If you don't prepare for some water changes quickly things will do downhill fast. The fish will eat, what it can, then the rest and the fish poop will breakdown to ammonia and kill the fish. The only way to prevent that is to make the partial water changes until the new filter can be colonized by enough bacteria to offset the waste breakdown in the QT tank. Does that make sense?

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:52 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok that makes sense. I'm sorry I forgot to say. Yes I mixed the fresh water with salt and put it to about .023. I'm goin to get 10 gallons of water right now and I'll do a water change every couple hours like you said. I'm goin to go test the water as well. When I get back I will update on everything. Thankyou for your help so far. You have helped me a lot

Sharkbait_Ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:47 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist
So far so good. He's been having a hard time swimming with his fins all ate up but I've been doing water changes with that Salt called
Tropic Marin and it seems like he's doing a lot better. He ate some brine shrimp today so that was the first time he's really went after his food. I got high hopes for my lil buddy!

Sharkbait_Ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote

goby, hurt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com