Hypo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trzabka

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im 2 weeks into hypo. I noticed yesterday that I had spots on my powder blue, yellow tang, and heniocus. The Salinity has been pretty consistant 1.009 but it might hit 1.010 during the day while im at work its a 30gal tank. the water quality has been somewhat poor ive been doing small water changes ever 3-4 days I read earlier that filter media should be changed or cleaned every other day. I have rinsed it a few time but not every other day. I Should mention I have been using flintz water treatment which is like ammo lock it makes ammonia and nitrate safe but doesnt remove them. So given these factors is it comon to see a outbreak 2 weeks into hypo. I Also placed a Small 9 watt UV steralizer in there today im not convinced that they work but it maybe will help slow reinfestation if that occurs. So any thoughts, im hopeing as bad as it may sound its just poor maintance and not some resistant form of ich or bateria

Take it a bit lower to 1.008 . This way you won't hit 1.010 with evaporation. Ich can survive at that salinity so that could be an issue there. It is not uncommon for fish to still have ich after 2 weeks of hypo depending how bad the infestation is so keep at it .

Is the 30 gal tank your main tank where your fish are on hypo treatment?

my main tank is 120 gallon they are just in the 30 for treatment. i bought the tank all set up when i moved it i must have stressed them out and stirred something up in the tank. i plan on keeping the tank empty for 8 weeks while the fish are in treatment. I wish that I would have waited to put my fish out of my 55 gallon into because they too got ill from it. so lesson learned dont ever trust anybody .

I plan on lowering it down to .008 tonight. Im concerned with how acurate my hydrometer is i will have to get some test solution to calibrate it

I dont think its marine Velvet I beleive that would have killed them already. Im pretty convinced its ich because they were completly spot free for a few days and i think its a matter of maintaining proper salinity like above mentioned. By the way what happens if the salinity drops below .008

ive killed more fish treating with copper It seems that i should buy a better test kit the api one i own is very inacurate. Im not a fan of copper, id like not to put it into this tank because use it to quarantine most everything. the one time i dont quaranting fish i have a mess

It is tough to trust a hydrometer. They are notoriously off. I got a refractometer and tested both hydros I had. Both were showing higher (.03 and .04) then what the refractometer showed.

Im guessing its just neglagence on my part i think i will have to be more vigilant with what I am doing. I probably havent monitored the salinity to well

excuse me I have to correct myself it is a refractometer. My apologies

Back
Top Bottom