Hypo in display tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rosesrblu1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone,

We are having an outbreak of iCh in our 180g fowlr. I don't have enough space in our QT for everyone, but was thinking that if I took my inverts from my tank and put the in qt, could I leave the 100+ lbs of rock and 120+ lbs of sand in the DT and do hypo??? Do I need to remove the rock too??

Would this work?? I currently have an Australian tusk in QT treating with copper. My QT is only 29g and that is way too small for my stock list. Current stock list is porkie puffer, Niger trigger, pair of occy clowns, pair of square back Antonia's, lunar wrasses, siz line wrasse, mimic tang, bullet goby, and 3 green chromis.

Amy help is appreciated.

Thanks

From what I understand, and will need some experts to correct me if I'm wrong, but hypo will kill off all your little tube worms, feather dusters, pods, bristle worms, etc... And I think it might even have a chance of killing your BB. It would leave pretty much nothing alive besides your fish. Your best bet might just be to browse Craigslist or something for a small handful of used tanks for your QT tanks. I think hypo might even kill off all of your coralline algae too.

Once again, I could be wrong on a few points, but I do know it will kill of any living thing in the tank that's not a fish.

Good luck! And keep us posted on your results.

What if we took all the rock and invert out and just left the sand? Would the sand survive? I have about 15 Nass snails I could dig up and I would re home my 2 sand sifting stars back to the Lfs.

With true live rock the die off will cause crazy parameter spikes. I have done hypo in my display before but my tank was freshly cycled with all base rock so I had no spikes. The bb can go dormant in hypo. To correct this freshly mixed saltwater can kick it back into action.it is still risky even if you take everything out . The solution is to get long storage totes and separate all your fish between the totes and treat them in there.

Going to pick up a 55g tomm and treat them with copper. It's the only way to rid the tank safely of the iCh. Adding inverts already on order from reefs2go, so all should be ok in 6-8 weeks. I'll never not QT a fish again. I'm also getting rid of the lunar wrasse as this all started because he stressed the Australian tusk. At least I can get some $$ for him a the Lfs when he is cured. Grrrr...hat looking at an empty tank. Bit I can watch the snails, crabs and urchins for a few months!

Thanks

Do not treat your puffer with copper. It will kill him. Puffers are scaleless . If you put copper in the tank with your puffer he is going to have an immediate reaction to it and probably die.

We have treated the puffer with copper before. We actually do the concentration a bit lower for him and the tang

Ok just be careful then. I'm a porcupine owner too and when I went through this I was too scared to use copper so I just went with hypo... Good luck

Hey Honda,

I have seen videos of your little guy. Their personalities are awesome! All the fish seem to,have a fairly mild case, so I don't have to go hard core and we use the blue copper stuff which is supposed to be milder for them. My guy has had iCh several times in the 3 years we have had him, so he is cool with the treatment. I can tell you that we will never not QT a fish again!!! Just spent 200 today for a third QT tank setup.

O ok so your using cupramine not straight copper. That is a lot better for them. Well I dealt with it once and now anything wet gets qt even inverts since ich can hitch a ride on them. I qt all my fish in hypo now. I buy them , they go straight into hypo for 6 weeks before they go in my dt. It not something a lot of people recommend but every fish I have purchased broke out and was cured in hypo and no amount of stress will ever cause an outbreak in my tank ever. Just something to think about.

Back
Top Bottom