hypo without refractormeter???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmkx3

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have ick on my tang and I would like to do hypo but I only have a hydrometer. I have priced a refractometer and can't afford one right now. How dangerous is it to just use th hydrometer? Would doing a copper treatment be better? I hate meds

I wouldn’t advise it but it can be done. Going down in sg isn’t as big as an issue as raising it back to current levels. Take your time in getting the sg back up (when finished) over a week or two slowly adding more mixed aged SW once every 24 hours and you should be fine.

About.com covers the steps well.

The problem with hydrometers is two fold, some do not measure low enough and they are prone to inacurracies. The link provided above is also not the best suggestion. If using a hydrometer, the target goal should be 1.009. If the salinity is allowed to be to high (above 16 ppt) the treatment will fail. At best, all you would do is slow down the parasite, not kill it. Do not try to convert ppt to SG, the refractometer is not affected by temp, the hydrometer is.

Cheers
Steve

Good catch steve, I missed the 1.013-1.010 sg recommendation :oops: From what I have read keeping fish in sg as low as 1.007 for a couple of months is ok for most fish.

Considering you can get a portable refractometer for $43 I’d make it high on the list for new equipment.

Sorry, I linked it but you must not see my sig that states I like to BOLD links.

If you go to your Profile Information screen and check Yes to the question at the bottom “View other members' signatures:” then you will see signatures if you wish to do so.

Back
Top Bottom