Hyposalinity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just a FYI dropping the salinity in the tank does not need to be done slowly. Saltwater fish can be put right into hypo with no issues. Going up on the other hand needs to be done slowly.

Dont know if im panicig for nothing but i have done a water change and dropped my salinity to 1.011 from 1.014 tonight (over a few hours) I have been monitoring PH which has been 7.8-7.9. I was going to lower my salinity to 1.010 tonight but my fish have started acting strange.

They just seem to be staying in the same place. Usually they swim about quite a bit. Should I be worried or could it be because it's almost lights out time?

Yeah the temp is fine and I have my sponge filter, powerhead and internal filter so I think the aeration should be good.

I just checked and they are still alive this morning so hopefully they are ok.

My water is looking slightly cloudy though. Not sure ifbitbis the water or just the glass. I will check properly when I get home from work

I will do another one tonight but I done a 30-35% water change last night. How much do u recommend changing tonight?

When it comes to QT and hospital tanks, there isn't ever really an answer outside of daily water changes until ammonia is not detectable...I'd assume a small water change should take care of such. Usually activated carbon or a uv sterilizer would address such an issue.

When it comes to QT and hospital tanks, there isn't ever really an answer outside of daily water changes until ammonia is not detectable...I'd assume a small water change should take care of such. Usually activated carbon or a uv sterilizer would address such an issue.
Yeah I will need to check when I'm home. I have been doing large water changes every other day and getting no ammonia readings with my red sea kit.

I was away for the weekend so put in ammo lock just to be safe but I changed about 40% of the water when I came back and it was less than 48hrs.

I have bee running carbon also. Maybe it is just some algae on the glass. I siphon out poop and left over food instantly when ever I see it so I find it hard to understand why I would have a bacteria bloom.

Hopefully all is ok when I get home ?

The water seems to be fine now. I have changed out more saltwater for fresh water so the salinity is down to 1.010 now and the countdown has begun. Here is a pic of them enjoying the masstick 20180731_200245.jpg

Little update. Everything seems to be doing fine. I have been doing 35% water changes every other day and keeping a close eye on PH and ammonia. I also change the sponges on my filter daily and once I clean them I put them in my DT sump to gather BB.

All fish are eating a variety of brine shrimp, mysis, seaweed, masstick and pellets. I have been feeding them once a day to try and keep their immune systems strong.

No more signs of white spots so hopefully just 4 weeks left of hypo then I'll slowly raise the salinity over a further week to 10 days I think.

Lost one on my gobys. Not sure what happened. Was fine the night before and the morning that it died. Went to do a water change in the afternoon and he was belly up. Checked ph ammonia and nitrite and all was good.

Was looking forward to seeing the pair in the tank as well

Back
Top Bottom