Hyposalinity treatment question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdjxt39

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok for my ich situation, I don't have the space or ability to toss all my livestock in another seperate QT tank for 8 weeks. I know people are going to say I need to do that, but I can't I live in a small apartment and I simply don't have space for it. So I was going to do hypo on my display tank to do the right thing for the fish.

I have an arrangement with a friend who said he will keep my inverts in his refugium until I am done. So my one and only question is, will keeping my live rock in the tank ruin it? Note that my LR has no "bonus" growths it is just strictly algae on it.

If you can get your inverts in the refuge, and treat your main with hyposalinity, there is no guarantee that you will ever rid the main of ich. Leaving it fallow will give the ich no hosts. It could work, but don't get your hopes up. That would be a great diary to keep and share. Can you give your buddy the tang and get a simple 20G tank, for a QT? I think your three fish will be ok in there. Plus, you will have a QT for future purchases.... Heck you could even use a bucket to put the fish in.....

Bacteria will adjust to the lower sg. I'd take your time increasing the sg over at least a week or two though. As Scott said it isn't full proof but you have a shot at it working. Good luck and keep us posted. Hopefully you have refractometer for accurate sg readings.

You will kill most of the life on your rock or sand. Feather dusters, bristle worms, sponges, etc. will all perish in hyposainity. Not only is that a waste, but it could also produce deadly amounts of ammonia, which could in turn kill the fish being treated.

Also, by moving the inverts into your friend's system, you will infect his aquarium. While inverts don't catch marine ich, ich can hitchhike with them in the water or as a cyst attached to any hard surface.

So I guess I should find someway to store all my live rock in a rubbermaid tub for 2 months while I do hyposalinity in the main tank?

How often should I do water changes in the tub with the live rock, and do I need a filter or just a powerhead?

Lastly, if I take all the LR out of the main, what should I put in it as distractions/hiding spots for the fish to not beat the crap out of each other?

mdjxt39 said:
Lastly, if I take all the LR out of the main, what should I put in it as distractions/hiding spots for the fish to not beat the crap out of each other?

Sections of PVC pipe work well for this, but if you take out all the liverock, what are you going to use for biological filtration?

I don't know I guess you can say I am lost at this point, because if keeping LR in during hypo is bad for it what do I do with that LR after the hypo?

Per my info:
Fluval 404 Canister Filter
Aqua C Remora Protein Skimmer w/ Maxi-Jet 1200 pump
Coralife RO/DI water filter unit
3 inch live sand bed

I agree with you Steven, without the LR (for filtration), PWCs and water parameters will need to be done/checked frequently.

Can your friend QT your fish for you so you can leave your tank as is without fish for 8 weeks?

Nope, his QT is only 10 gallons and to stick that many fish in there would be pushing it.

IMO taking the fish out is the only way to erradicate the ich.

There is much debate about ich. Some feel that it is always present and some feel it is not.

There is ways to "manage" ich that will not stress the fish as much such as cleaner shrimp, feeding garlic, PWC's.

The use of UV will only kill the free floating stage of the parasite and is also highly debated.

Back
Top Bottom