Hyposalinity vs Cupramine???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a delimma. I just bought a velvet dottieback and a regal tang. Both of them are small fish and are in a 20 gallon QT tank and have been for a wek yesterday.
My delimma is I am leaving for Mexico for a week on July 21. I have about 4 weeks to work with. Both of the fish are doing well and eating. I noticed on the Regal last night 3 spots.....one on one side, one on his tail fin and one on one of the side fins. I ASSUMED it was ick since they are prone to this. The LFS I bought them from said they run copper in their FO tanks so they were exposed to copper.
I am going to assume this was ick. I got up this morning and no signs of the spots. However I did feed the tang some seaweed soaked in garlic. The water parameters are all 0 and PH is 8.2 with temp abount 82-84. (I turned it up a little).
My question is do I treat for ick? If so what...hypo or copper? I only have 4 weeks until I am gone for 1 week and only someone to feed the fish. Or should I let it go and wonder if it is ick? The one spot looked like it was under the skin but the other 2 looked like particles....I just am in a quandry as to what to do....Maybe one of the guys that talked me into doing the QT tank can help me now!! :lol:
I need to make a decision asap as I only have 4 week to work with. Also the dottieback is fine and shows no signs of ick....do I leave it in there if I do treat??

With 4 weeks I would opt for the Cupramine. 2 weeks of treatment and 2 weeks to make sure they are clean.

Hyposalinity vs Cupramine

I assume I can get the Cupramine at any LFS??? How hard is it to monitor as well?
Also I need to know do I leave both fish in the QT tank?? I have the dottieback with the regal. Also what I might do once the 2 weeks of treatment is over, I may leave both fish in the QT tank until after I get back just to make sure. My levels have stayed perfect now for 1 week so I think I have the hang of it on a smaller tank. Any other suggestions? I assume this medicine is easy to use???

Yes the med is easy to use. You do need to get the proper test kit. It is made by seachem and is called mutitest for copper. With this kit its a piece of cake and the med works well and fast.
After treatment, they should be observed for 2-3 weeks for reoccurence.

Hypo vs Cupramine

Thanks quarryshark!! I will try and get it today and start the treatment. I do have one reservation though. What if the regal DOESNT have ick and it was just spots showing up....maybe debris attached to its skin? Does the treatment make them sick if they dont have ick? Also I still need an answer on the dottieback in the tank with the regal....does it stay in there during the treatment??

Back
Top Bottom