Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-30-2005, 06:16 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
I never understood the "Steve-S and QuarryShark Fan Club" until I'd battled ich and had them sitting on my shoulder the whole way.
I concur. These two guys have helped me through a few crises of my own. They are fantastic.

Hypo does work, I've used it twice successfully, just keep very close tabs on your pH. That almost cost me a Yellow Tang.

--Aquabear

FW1-16g, 5 Zebra danios, 4 Pristella Tetras, 4 Black Skirt Tetras, 2 Gold Barbs, 1 Brush-nose Pleco
FW2-5g, 1 Baby Gold Marble Angel (raised from fry), 6 Zebra Danios
SW1-75g, (80# LR), Scarlett hermits, Turbo snails, Percula Clownfish (Gizmo), Oscellaris Clownfish (Whizzer), Indian Yellowtail Angelfish (Mikado), Royal Gramma (Orpheus), Black Sailfin Blenny (Casper), Yellow Tang (Pele), Racoon Butterflyfish (Raptor), Lyretail Anthia (Juliette)
FW3-30g, 2 mated Gold Marble Angels (Oscar/Yenta)
SW2-20g, QT, currently empty
FW4-30g, currently empty
FW5-20g, 2 Gold Angels (non-paired)
SW3-35g (REFUGIUM for SW1) - EVIL ChocChipStar, Nassarius and Turbo snails
SW4-55g, 4 BlueGreen Chromis, King's Crown snail.
AquaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 10:05 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to Pghjeff71 Send a message via Yahoo to Pghjeff71
Well everyone, this is it! Tonight I move my fish back into the main aquarium. It has felt like an eternity using the quarantine tank. The constant battle of ammonia and nitirite and daily water changes has been won and thankfully I haven't lost a single fish using hyposalinity. I have my friends at AA to thank for helping through this! I know this may sound crazy but at times I feel guilty for keeping such beautiful fish knowing that at one time they were swimming free in the ocean. Thus I feel it imperative to ensure their health and happiness. I think I have accomplished that. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress of moving my friends back into the 'main'.

Old 06-04-2005, 05:24 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well the fish are happily swimming in the main tank! While the main sat fallow there was a huge explosion of pods. It's only taken a few hours for the fish to start some population control lol. At least I won't have to worry about feeding them for a while. Also my fuge had gone crazy with macroalgae growth so the fish will be enjoying plenty of "fresh" foods for a time to come. I swear my lawnmower blenny looks bloated from eating the algae!

I'm still debating as to what do with the QT tank now. I plan on adding another fish in the future but for now will probably just break it down.

Hopefully I won't need to post anything new in the "Sick Fish or Coral" forum

- Jeff (QT convert and hyposalinity fan)
Old 06-05-2005, 01:14 PM   #14
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pghjeff71
Hopefully I won't need to post anything new in the "Sick Fish or Coral" forum

- Jeff (QT convert and hyposalinity fan)

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-23-2005, 01:39 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well I ordered some new fish from Saltwaterfish.com and was smart enough to put them into a QT this time. Good thing too because the Heni bannerfish butterfly broke out with 'ich' within two days. I really expected the blue hippo tang to be first since I've read they are quite prone to it. However it took almost a week to see any spots on it.

Anyways I am now back to using Hyposalinity. I know there are those who debate using copper versus this method, however I don't want to use harsh chemicals if at all possible.

Lastly I am going to side with the belief that it will be possible to have an 'ich' free aqaurium. Again I know there is considerable debate on whether the parasite is always present but I think with proper quarantine measures this scourge can be avoided.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:50 PM   #16
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pghjeff71
Lastly I am going to side with the belief that it will be possible to have an 'ich' free aqaurium. Again I know there is considerable debate on whether the parasite is always present but I think with proper quarantine measures this scourge can be avoided.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
eat, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com