Hyposalinity - worked great for Ich!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pghjeff71

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been keeping fish for over 10 years now and I guess my arrogance got the better of me, because I added a Lawnmower Blenny to my 75G aquarium without QT and well...Ich.

Anyways I setup a QT tank and followed the advice on using hyposalinity and four weeks into it now my fish are doing fantastic, no signs of flashing or the dreaded white spots. :arrow: My thanks go to Quarryshark, Steve-S and Lando as I've read your many posts and you guys sure know your stuff!

I haven't lost any fish (yellow tang, pygmy angel, clown, wrasse, blenny) even with the battle of ammonia and now nitrites. My wrasse really acted strange in the beginning (he just layed on his side and I thought for sure he was a goner) but he since has become his "old self".

I just wanted to say that hyposalinity works great and causes no obvious stress as compared to using Copper (which I used YEARS ago). You can be sure I'll QT any new fish in the future :oops:

If not for this site I wouldn't have made it this far so I felt compelled to make a donation and I hope everyone using this site does too. Even "old timers" learn something new daily here!

- Jeff

(edited to add additional AA members to thank)

Hi, I'm using a 29 Gallon for my QT, with an Aquaclear 300 for the filtration. I've had to do water changes almost daily but now that the ammonia has settled I'm hoping the nitrite levels will be right around on the corner.

If not for this site I wouldn't have made it this far so I felt compelled to make a donation and I hope everyone using this site does too.

Well said. Lotta perks for those who do contribute. Get to wear that "AA Alumni" tag proudly and get more storage space for your gallery too.

Folks that have learned something and saved money avoiding mistakes should consider donating to this wonderful site.

Waytogo on the ick treatment!

Kudos to you for the donation for this site - even though your new title hasn't shown up yet.

Congratulations on being ich free and welcome to the club. I had donated once already but after going through my battle with ich with my purple tang I donated again for all the help that Steve & Quarry had given to me. I never understood the "Steve-S and QuarryShark Fan Club" until I'd battled ich and had them sitting on my shoulder the whole way. Whew!

Definitely worth a donation, no matter how small. It all helps.

Congrats on your success!! :)
Just make sure your keep the main fallow for as long as you can stand. No sense doing it all over again. :wink:

Pghjeff71 said:
I just wanted to say that hyposalinity works great and causes no obvious stress as compared to using Copper (which I used YEARS ago). You can be sure I'll QT any new fish in the future :oops:

How low did you go with the hyposalinity?

I've been doing the hypo for almost 5 weeks now. I definitely plan on leaving the main empty for at least another two weeks. I would definitely be cranky if I had to go through this all again! I thought they would be stressed in the 29 along with the low salinity but they seem perfectly content and eating happily.

My tang is going to crazy when 'she' is placed back in there because of the macroalgae growth :)

I do have one question: Should I "feed" the main tank at all, as to keep the bacteria happy and growing? I give my starfish a shrimp pellet every few days but not sure if that's enough to maintain the macroalgae in the sump and the live rock critters and bacteria. Thanks!

I never understood the "Steve-S and QuarryShark Fan Club" until I'd battled ich and had them sitting on my shoulder the whole way.

I concur. These two guys have helped me through a few crises of my own. They are fantastic.

Hypo does work, I've used it twice successfully, just keep very close tabs on your pH. That almost cost me a Yellow Tang.

--Aquabear

Well everyone, this is it! Tonight I move my fish back into the main aquarium. It has felt like an eternity using the quarantine tank. The constant battle of ammonia and nitirite and daily water changes has been won and thankfully I haven't lost a single fish using hyposalinity. I have my friends at AA to thank for helping through this! I know this may sound crazy but at times I feel guilty for keeping such beautiful fish knowing that at one time they were swimming free in the ocean. Thus I feel it imperative to ensure their health and happiness. I think I have accomplished that. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress of moving my friends back into the 'main'.

Well the fish are happily swimming in the main tank! While the main sat fallow there was a huge explosion of pods. It's only taken a few hours for the fish to start some population control lol. At least I won't have to worry about feeding them for a while. Also my fuge had gone crazy with macroalgae growth so the fish will be enjoying plenty of "fresh" foods for a time to come. I swear my lawnmower blenny looks bloated from eating the algae!

I'm still debating as to what do with the QT tank now. I plan on adding another fish in the future but for now will probably just break it down.

Hopefully I won't need to post anything new in the "Sick Fish or Coral" forum :)

- Jeff (QT convert and hyposalinity fan)

Pghjeff71 said:
Hopefully I won't need to post anything new in the "Sick Fish or Coral" forum :)

- Jeff (QT convert and hyposalinity fan)
(y) (y)

Cheers
Steve

Well I ordered some new fish from Saltwaterfish.com and was smart enough to put them into a QT this time. Good thing too because the Heni bannerfish butterfly broke out with 'ich' within two days. I really expected the blue hippo tang to be first since I've read they are quite prone to it. However it took almost a week to see any spots on it.

Anyways I am now back to using Hyposalinity. I know there are those who debate using copper versus this method, however I don't want to use harsh chemicals if at all possible.

Lastly I am going to side with the belief that it will be possible to have an 'ich' free aqaurium. Again I know there is considerable debate on whether the parasite is always present but I think with proper quarantine measures this scourge can be avoided.

Pghjeff71 said:
Lastly I am going to side with the belief that it will be possible to have an 'ich' free aqaurium. Again I know there is considerable debate on whether the parasite is always present but I think with proper quarantine measures this scourge can be avoided.
(y) (y)

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom