hyposalinty issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oceandelight

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so we are at 12ppt and have been there for going on 2days and the fish look horrible ... more horrible then i have ever seen how long is it going to take the hypo to get some of these spots off. I am almost wondering now if we should have gone with the cuperimine because the spot would most have been gone by now. the fish don't seem to be stressed or anything but i am really worried how much more they can handle. any advice from anyone?

My boyfriend says that it looks like there slime coat is comming off or something is flaking off them. It looks really bad. is this normal?

Are you using any medication in combination with the hyposalinty? What parasite are you attempting to combat? If it is Ich, which is what it sounds like to me. I would definitely combine a copper treatment with hyposalinity. That will definitely get rid of any Ich parasites that you may be dealing with.

These spots you are talking about ick right. Look like grains of salt on him. Or are they other types of spots

Jasonanatal said:
I would definitely combine a copper treatment with hyposalinity. That will definitely get rid of any Ich parasites that you may be dealing with.
Which would most likely kill the fish as well. Copper should never be combined with hypo unless you are very experienced with both treatments. Even then it's rarely a good idea. The problematic pH can allow the copper to become "free" and poison the tank.

How long have the fish been at 12 ppt, what species of fish? Hypo does not affect the trophonts, primarily the tomonts (reproductive stage).

Cheers
Steve

I have succesfully performed a combined Hyposalinty and Copper treatment to save my Volitan Lionfish and Starry Puffer lives. If you purchase Mardel Copper-Safe and perform Nightly water changes without adding Marine Salt to the new water you should be fine. I my method of treatment to other users on this site which have seen dramatic results within a week.

I had two lions the first one to get sick died because I didn't due a combined treatment the second one started getting sick shortly after and rebounded within a weeks time. My Starry Puffer was also treated and was fine. I'm only currently having an issue with my Starry Puffer now because they are no longer in seperate tank and had to put him in a breeder which he is very unhappy in. But no parasites. :D

Copper should not be used with puffer species or other scaleless fish.

As steve mentioned, it is best to choose one method of treatment or the other, but becomes dangerous when combined. This does not mean that it will outright kill whatever is in the tank every time, but rather drastically increases the risks (as steve also mentions). Having success does not make it recommendable to others without making them fully aware that it is a potentially deadly application.

so i have no idea what went wrong. yes the fish had ich for sure so after weighing the options we decided to do the hypo salinity. we started to see what i thought was the ich worsen at about 18ppt and when we got down to the 12ppt it looked like the fish were sunburned and there slime coat was flaking off we have 3 different tanks going right now for QT and we have checked the levels every day sometimes twice a day and everything has come back normal. every time we check. so i don't know what went wrong but i lost all 3 tangs :( my powder brown, disjardin, and blue eyed kole tang but everyone else is fine. i don't get it? anyone have anything or any thoughts about the situation let me know the heni butterfly, 2 goby, mated O. clowns are all fine and some of them were in the same tanks as the tangs. i am upset that they died but i guess this gives me a new chance to think about some different fish to start with.

How often did you have to buffer the water and what was the pH/how often was it tested?

Sounds like your pH crashed or the ammonia spiked...

Cheers
Steve

I did not notice what species we are talking about here, but if it is ick, I would rocommend Jason's method of the hypo with the copper. I did some research, and it did not sound to be safe. But after trying a few methods of treatments, my lion seemed as if he was a goner for sure so Jason's method was my last hope. Sure enough, within days my fish was improving and the treatment took only about a week. Its been several weeks now since my fish has been back to normal and would recommend Jason's treatment if your sure it is an external parasite. I'm only new at this, so I am just adding what has worked for me. :D

Back
Top Bottom