Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-31-2009, 03:31 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Slow down! (I can totally relate, I bought an established tank last fall and had no idea what I was doing in the beginning.)

I would suggest running carbon to remove the meds and leaving the tank fishless for now. Set up a QT and pick up two new fish and quarantine them for four weeks while your main tank gets cleaned up. Then proceed SLOWLY. Good luck!

Old 04-02-2009, 05:22 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Ok, are the wounds look like chunks have been taken out and the edges are bloody? (could be TB and yes, you can get it too).
or
Are the spots getting cloudy first and then chunks fall off? (could be Costia).

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

no, they just soooooo quickly look like their skin starts pealing off. I mean, they do fine for like a day, but then after about a day and a half, they are all the sudden SICK AS ALL GET OUT! There is no inbetween stage. So, I have just been enjoying my corals the last week. What I am concerned about, is if it is velvet, I can't seem to do any of the things I have read to get rid of it. I have so much live rock and coral, so I can't put in Copper, I can't leave the lights off, again because of the corals, so I don't know.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:05 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
QT would be best....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:42 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to mr86mister
I agree with QT. Is there any way that this cause could back track to the LFS? I understand you have a good friend in the hobby. I don't want you to be thinking it is your fault when it may even be the fish store that had the issue and you brought it to your tank. Please look into that to at least try to narrow down your search. If you bought all the fish from the same LFS, I would REALLY look into that.

I hope everything is taken care of for you. I understand the frustration and a bit of pain you are going through. So, keep looking and breath it out!!
Old 04-02-2009, 10:41 PM   #16

Ya, I am trying... So, quarantine tank my new fish, but I am still not sure how to know how to get the sick tank well I can't put Copper in it and I am hoping that whatever the issue is doesn't eventually get to my fireshrimp... love them! Also, I have a lawnmower blenny (sp?)who seems to just be doing great.... My name here really does my current state of mind justice.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:12 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

If it was me, rather than restock quickly, I'd get just one fish and put it in quarantine for the standard 4 weeks. If it seems fine and dandy after that time period, then put it in your main tank. If it comes down with the same issues you've had before, then you can pretty much assume that yes... something is wrong with the main tank. I'd then wait another month just for good measure before buying another fish. That way you won't have someone in your QT in case you need to yank the new one out of the main and stuff it back in the QT.

If all goes well, then go for another one. And of course, if the new fish comes down with the same problems in the quarantine tank (assuming it's been sterilized/cleaned), then you can probably trace the problem back to bad conditions at the LFS.

Oh... like the avatar picture. I just watched "Nemo" again last night after not seeing it since it came out! You don't happen to be shaking the bag when you get the fish, do you?!
Old 04-03-2009, 12:47 AM   #18

LOL no I don't shake them... but I KNOW the poor fish get scared to death when they see me walk in the store! So hence, the avatar.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com