Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-09-2004, 10:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am back and I am so confused please help

Hello all.

Well I am back I know it has been about three weeks but with good reason we lost our hippo tang to ich.. (bummer) but about 3 days before it died we got a 25 gallon tank and set it up as a QT for a little fella (another hippo tang) I know I know leave well enough alone but this fish was the reason my wife let me spend the money on the tank in the first place so I knida have to have one. Well this one was about the size of a quarter if that big mabye a little smaller. We bought some live algae from the LFS and set up the QT tank in the bar. It was wonderful for about 3 weeks he finally got to know us and he would come out of the PVC whenever we came into the room and as I said it's our bar so the wife saying hey lets go hang out in the bar was an added bonus.. Well Thrus night it had been three weeks to the day not a sign of ich anywhere and we waited till the blue lights were on and into the display tank the little bugger went. I have to admit having a fish on teh bar to drink with got to be real cool he was great and we got real attached much different than looking at them from the couch across the room. (side note QT it is a great way to learn about an individual fish and thier personality) Well for 2 days he hung in the corner in the back by the one powerhead. But he was eating the live algea I clipped there for him and some mysis I dropped in as well on Sat morning before work. Fianlly on saturday night I saw him making head way and venturing out towards teh front of the tank and down to rocks.. Woo hoo I am thinking... Well me and the wife go to a movie come home Saturday night and he is gone.. Yup gone.. In broad daylight even the tank lights were still on.. We checked all around the tank no fish no wetspot no nothing and the tank has covers and with all the crap hanging on the back there is very little jumping out room.. We assume he is hiding.. Sun rolls around no mikey (his name) we get a little concerend and feed the tank .. no sign of him.. Monday wife (and me) are starting to panic we have taken apart filters powerheads and skimmers.. tanken the back plastic off of the tank crawled around back and looked, nothing.. Where did our fish go??? I have been up and running about 4 months I have 13 snails 10 blue legged hermits I got for 98 cents each that are teeny tiny a flame angel a bubble coral and some kinda zoanathid thing I think that my friend gave me it looks like zoos but they are on a brach thing not on rock.. his angel was eating them so I took them from him and they have been doing great.. and an emerald crab that is way to slow and small to catch a quick fish. Any way I have never had any problems like this.. Never lost a snail never seen any of my fish cut up well the flame and the bigger tang 3-4 inches when we had him lost a hermit once but I would guess one of the other hermits got him and seeing how my emerald crab iis in every hole in the rock for the last 3.5 months if I had a predator I would figure he would have some problems by now.. So Where is my fish?? any ideas?? I have never heard a clicking I dont think tangs bury themselves and I have checked the base on all sides of the rocks like I said even in the back.. I would think if he was eaten I would see something anything even in the filter I didnt' see anything nor in the skimmate.. nothing (looking in skimmate for fish parts sucks and is very stinky dont do it)

Any ideas on what might make him come out or do you think he is dead or what??

Thanks

Doan

Old 02-09-2004, 11:00 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Missing since Sat...yeah I think it died. The crabs in the tank and possibly a mantis...will make short work of the carcass for you. It is not uncommon to have a fish disappear in a reef and never be seen again. There really is no way to tell what killed it, could have been disease, could have been stress could have been a predator...

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 11:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sorry for the loss we once had a clown die out of the blue. we had him a couple months when we saw a pile of crabs and snails and no fish. when we moved some of the crabs, there he was. he was completly gone within a few hours.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:57 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

ohhhh that sucks lol... **** it... now I am really bummed he was my drinkin buddy.. no hope at all that he will magically appear.. darn it..

Doan
Old 02-10-2004, 10:08 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Sorry about your loss. I lost a purple firefish after curing it of ICH in QT and then re-introducing it into the main tank. He seemed fine for 3 days (although not really eating) then vanished.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 11:14 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

There is hope, I don't think it is likely, but stranger things have happened.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com