I am rescuing a friends tank that has been very healthy, until now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gregcoyote

Aquarium Advice Addict
Her tank has broken out in velvet. She added a couple of gobies that seem to have set it off. Moving the fish to a 40 gallon quarantine with copper. Anything else I should do?

Almost the same deal as with Ich, except MV can kill fish much faster. QT with copper (hypo does not work with MV). Freshwater dips can help knock out some of it and give the fish more of a fighting chance. Keep the DT fallow for 8 weeks. Hopefully you have MV-free healthy fish going back into a MV-free tank.

Setting up a 40 gallon QT right now. Never had one before, I've never needed one. But my friend sure does. We will let her tank sit fish-less for at least a month.

I've always heard 8 weeks fallow for MV is the way to go. You don't want any left in there when the healthy fish are put back in.

My biggest fear is keeping this QT completely away from my main system. I haven't had any diseases in over 10 years. Buying new nets and everything to be sure nothing is shared.

Rapid breathing, listless, bad slime coat. You can see its gills are affected. Tomorrow I can bring the copper level to proper strength. He's too weak for a freshwater dip I think.

After decades of not using QT, this bout my friend has been having has made a believer in me. The QT tank is going to stay ready to use.

After decades of not using QT, this bout my friend has been having has made a believer in me. The QT tank is going to stay ready to use.

Way back when I started with saltwater, it was pre-Internet, so I was going based on what the LFS said. Nobody ever talked about QT or even acclimation, so you floated your bag for acclimation (to get the temps the same) and you put your fish in with the others. Works great until it doesn't. :) The tank got something one day with a new addition and lost a few hundred bucks worth of fish within a matter of days. It was probably MV in hindsight. Fast forward many years and I have been QTing new fish. Gave my tank to my son for a science fair project, added a new fish to my DT without QT, figuring what are the chances, and ended up with MV. Never, ever again! I will QT all the time from now on, no matter what.

I've gotten lazy because i haven't had any diseases for ages. Seeing the result of MV in my friends tank was a wake up call.

Back
Top Bottom