Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-30-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

I bought a Duncan polyp (1 head) about a week ago

So I bought a Duncan polyp (1 head) about a week ago. Looked great in the store when I brought it home it took almost a day for it to start to open. The following day it closed up and has been like that ever since. Checked all water levels everything is in order. Don't have many other corals, just mushrooms that seem to be ok. I need some advice asap before this little guy dies
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2925289923.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	45812  

Old 08-02-2011, 10:31 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Is it too high up in the tank? Maybe too much light or too much flow. I have mine under medium light and flow and it's growing new heads like crazy.

Wish I could be of more help, just wanted you to know someone is reading.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Probably not the case, but my cleanup crew likes to sabatosh mine but crawling all over them whenever they open. As soon as they are wide open, boom one will climb over it. Also aren't those pretty hardy?
Old 08-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

They are hardy ,,unless your angel picks it to death(my case)
I wonder if its too much flow also,,they do like gentle to no flow as far as i know
FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

The flow doesn't seem heavy at all, although I did move it higher due to I was told my light might not be strong enough. I have 2 48" deep blue solar max high output light fixture. 54w each. It has 1 t5 10,000k daylight lamp and 1 t5 actinic-03 lamp. Also has 8LED moonlights
Here's a picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3856312454.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	46143  
Old 08-04-2011, 02:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I do know that these guys don't like too Much light...mine was doing ok but as a fluke I moved him down to the bottom instead of the middle right under the light, and now he is happy and growing like crazy!! These are one of my fav vitals, good luck!
Old 08-04-2011, 03:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm hoping it will settle into one spot. I don't want to move it every couple hours bc I know it could take a day to fully open. I just did a water change last night bc I noticed my nitrite was rising. I moved it again last night and in the morning it looked like it was open a little more. Going to have to check on it when I get home
Old 08-04-2011, 03:16 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Do you mean nitrates? Cause if you have nitrites thats an issue. :-( That could be affecting the coral.

How long has this tank been setup?
Old 08-04-2011, 03:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah unfortunately it was nitrites. I did two water changes and it's back to normal now. Hopefully it stays that way. How does nitrites rise and is water changes the only thing that will lower it.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:49 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

if your tank is cycled you shouldnt ever have nitrites. The bacteria is supposed to be converting ammonia to nitrite and then to nitrate which is less lethal for fish and corals.

How did you cycle and when? What is your fish and coral list like? You might have too much bio load for your bacteria.

Tags
polyp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com