Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-07-2011, 12:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

I fear my tank may have Ich. . .

Is it possible if I have a bad Ich outbreak that I will see lots of little white floaty things in my tank or will you only see them on the fish?

If I do 50% water changes every 3 days will that help bring down/get rid of the Ich?

I ask because I am about to turn my fish over from my 125 gallon tank to my 230 gallon tank. I lost 3 Naso Tangs, and this morning I saw my blue hippo wasn't looking great, worried may be dead by time I get home.

I'll try to get some video of my tank up, but there are thousands of little white things floating; I was thinking it was just detritus.

I use reef crystals salt mix, tank temp is almost always 80%, I change 5-10 gallons of water every week. My salinity is 1.025, 0 ammonia/nitrite/nitrates solid and stable every time I test.

Any questions please ask; I'm trying to get my tank nice and healthy.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Not sure about the ich but I do know that 5-10g of water changed in a 125g is not enough. I usually change out about 20g a week at least in my 125g.

Here's hoping the blue tang makes it and you DON'T have ich.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Not sure about the ich but I do know that 5-10g of water changed in a 125g is not enough. I usually change out about 20g a week at least in my 125g.

Here's hoping the blue tang makes it and you DON'T have ich.
If I DO have Ich, would a 30% water change every 3 days, and feeding the fish garlic soaked food cause the ich to die off?
Old 10-07-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If it is ich that probably isn't gonna do it. The only way to fully get rid of ich for sure is to take the fish out and let the tank sit for about 6-8 weeks. You can treat the affected fish in a qt tank until then.

Not the news you wanna hear, I know, but thats the only tried and true way to rid yourself of ich. :-(
Old 10-07-2011, 02:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
If it is ich that probably isn't gonna do it. The only way to fully get rid of ich for sure is to take the fish out and let the tank sit for about 6-8 weeks. You can treat the affected fish in a qt tank until then.

Not the news you wanna hear, I know, but thats the only tried and true way to rid yourself of ich. :-(
BAH! Well might be good timing as any I guess; I am going to be moving my rocks/sand to the 230 gallon tank.

What all is needed for a QT tank? Maybe I can use my 125 as a QT tank. Do you need power heads, sump, refugium?
Old 10-07-2011, 02:11 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozorowsky View Post
What all is needed for a QT tank? Maybe I can use my 125 as a QT tank. Do you need power heads, sump, refugium?
Good reading for QT and ich

An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part II by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Usually a qt is only the bare minimum, no sand or rock either. But leaving the filter going and powerheads would be ok in my opinion. Depending on which method you choose to treat them will determine the refugium..if youre going with copper then I wouldnt use your refugium. If going with hyposalinity treatment it might kill off whatever is in the fuge.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:35 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Usually a qt is only the bare minimum, no sand or rock either. But leaving the filter going and powerheads would be ok in my opinion. Depending on which method you choose to treat them will determine the refugium..if youre going with copper then I wouldnt use your refugium. If going with hyposalinity treatment it might kill off whatever is in the fuge.
Can I just use a bare tank no fuge and a power head and fish?
Old 10-07-2011, 02:39 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yep. Bare tank is best. You can add some pvc pieces of piping for them to hide in as well. You may be doing alot of water changes but it will work.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:49 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Yep. Bare tank is best. You can add some pvc pieces of piping for them to hide in as well. You may be doing alot of water changes but it will work.
Carey thanks for the quick replies as always; just to be 100%

If I buy a power head, have NO filter/sump/rock/sand and do 30% plus water changes a week, my fish' ick will cure?

And I will want a heater in there of course. Anything else I would want in the tank?

Tags
ich, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com