Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-31-2002, 03:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

I feel really guilty

I've been keeping freshwater fish for a long, long time. Ever since I was a kid. I've kept all kinds too, from native U.S. fish to cichlids, etc...
Right now, I have 2 freshie tanks. The one is a beautiful heavily planted tank that could definitely be entered in the AGA contest. But you know what? I'm bored with it.....even the other fresh tank is dull to me now.

I blame the saltwater hobby entirely for this!!

I feel guilty because I always thought that I would love/want my fresh tanks....but now I just don't know....

Is it absolutely horrible of me for wanting to tear down (at least) one of the fresh tanks? Should I? Or do you think this feeling will pass?
I wouldn't use the empty tank for anything, just store it for an emergency tank......
What would you do?

Old 12-31-2002, 03:41 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

If you didn't already know what answers you wanted, you would have posted this in the FW section. So it is obvious to me, you should not tear down any tanks...simply buy more and quit

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 04:09 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
salt bug

Got bit by the salt bug did ya? Happened to me too. If you can bear to keep the fresh tanks up for a while, until the first bit of new wears off the SW tank, I think you'll find a renewed interest in them. How do I know? Been there, done that. I did what reefrunner suggested...bought more tanks. We all can get in a rut when it comes to these things. It'll wear off .
Logan J
Old 12-31-2002, 09:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to SleeplessLwd
I know how you feel, I went thru that a couple years back and I started up a 29 gal reef. I loved the reef, but I missed my freshwater tank and now I'm doing freshwater again. I have a 20 gal freshwater with plants and I'm glad I did it. Also after you have a saltwater tank and you see how much more expensive it is, you appreciate the low cost freshwater. I would tell you to try saltwater if you really want it, but I'll bet eventually you'll start up another freshwater tank again.
Old 12-31-2002, 10:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Like everybody else been there, done that.
Go for it or you might regret it later for not trying it, keep one FW tank up.

75 gal. Reef & 30 gal. Anemone Tanks.

I get paid for what I may have to do, Not for what I do!
EMS503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 11:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I think I need to clarify things a bit. I already have 3 saltwater tanks, and I've been keeping saltwater tanks for over 2 yrs. now. It just seems to me that my interest in freshwater is waning. I feel that I am somehow "betraying" my freshwater fish and even myself in some way. When I started keeping salties, in my heart of hearts I always thought that I would want to keep my fresh tanks......

I'm hoping that this feeling will pass
Old 01-01-2003, 10:33 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Well for me I kept fresh first. Then I only had 1 tank and wanted to try salt so I had to make a switch. Luckly for me my roommate at the time got a much larger tank than I had (he got a 90 and I had a 20). I moved my freshies in with his tank and put salt in my tank.

I was exclusivly salt for about 1 1/2 years and then i put up a 29 freshy for the wife.

Dont worry if you go away from fresh you might just find yourself comming back to fresh after a period of time.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 04:12 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
I wouldnt feel guilty. If your not interested any more, your not interested. I would just provide your freshwater stuff with a new good home, and go from there. If you regret it you can always tear a saltwater tank down and go back.
Old 01-02-2003, 09:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via MSN to SchweetPup4u Send a message via Yahoo to SchweetPup4u
i had fresh, switched to salt. i missed my oscars so much, i switched back to the fresh again. Then to salt. Now im thinking of setting back up my oscar tank.. hhmmpphh....

Tags
eel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com