Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-15-2004, 10:16 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus
Copper is intolerable to most parasites including ick.
Agreed, it is also toxic to the fish at high enough doses and stressful even in theraputic doses. I am almost certain that the place you work uses it's method because it is a compromise between effective and cost effective. That is alot of wasted salt to do a true hyposalinity treatment, but using copper renders the substrate uselees for keeping inverts in the future. I certainly have no problems with your recommended treatment, but in a time where the trend is to go reef...it need to be stressed a little more that the tank will be unsutable for inverts.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 11:26 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Originally Posted by Xenos
I respect your opinion and I would appreciate some of the same. Copper is intolerable to most parasites including ick.
I'm not saying I don't respect your opinion, I just have a difference oof how I feel treatment should be rendered. I was merely stating that I do not see the point or need to lower SG to 1.019and treat with copper. A SG of 1.019 will not kill off ick. I will never use copper as a treatment again since I have learned of the negative affects it can have on a fish.

In your instance with such a large tank as Kevin stated treatments such as hyposalinty may not be practical for a number of reasons including $ and the large amount of time and effort it would take to do these large water changes. However treating such a large system with copper would also be costly and expensive and difficult to remove from the water, and even more problematic if left in after the recommended treatment period is over.

I"m speaking from a home aquarium standpoint here but the main purpose of a Q tank is to evaluate the condition of the fish and render the appropriate treatment necessary if there is a problem before the fish is released into the main display. Since most people use a rather small Q tank I see no reason why somebody would choose to use copper over hyposalinty.

I also feel as I've previsously stated that a freshwater dip will further stress out a fish and will not rid the fish of ick completely. If the correct treatment is initiated asap a freshwater dip is not necessary due to the fact that ick cannot survive at a SG of 1.009.

.... but this is all JMHO.. take it or leave it for what it's worth.

jamal-188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 08:39 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
Thanks guys I am doing my best here... I have a QT set up but he seemed to be doing better last night he looked good as a matter of fact as I tried for about about 10 minutes to catch him after he ate.. Then he put himself between two pieces of LR and did his flat thing and honestly I felt that if messed around two much it would crush him as it was where the rocks were stacked vertically.. So I figured to give up.. Went back about an hour later he went back to the same spot same. Finally I let him just ride.. If he starts to look sick again and I can catch him into the QT he goes if not hey thats great ...

Doan is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com