I just got a saltwater tank and i need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

netuska

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I bought a 14 gallon tank and i put the salt water in and some other liquids that they told me to put in and the store I got the tank from told me I could put a few yellowtails in there straight away but that I would have to wait about 4 weeks to get the more expensive fish. Anyways, so I got 2 yellowtails and one little fish which was black and white striped (i dont know the name), and s after 3 weeks, the black and white fish was just laying on the bottom, it wasn't dead but it seemed to be breathing fast and it was just still on the bottom, and I don't know what's wrong with it? what do I do, does anyone know what it has? And will this affect on the time that I have to wait for the tank to be ready for the clown fish that I was supposed to get after 4 weeks?

You need to cycle your tank properly, there is no way around it. I wont get into the details since its rather long but you can do a search on the net or here on Aquarium Advice there is plenty of information on how to cycle a tank the right way.
I wish some of the LFS would explain the cycling process rather than selling a bottle of some stuff that is supposed to magically create the bacteria needed in the filter to support the tank.
Good luck with your new tank.

This is our Sw article on cycling. Please read it. Your LFS is not very knowledgable. You have to cycle the tank first. Maybe he`ll take them back till you are able to get your tank in order. Your fish are suffering.

I Think you had put salt water & some chemicals over there. may be because of that chemicals that little fish suffer from fast breathing problem. & second thing recycling of salt water is very important. because it's directly affect on fish health. so i would like to suggest you that you should have to change that salt water daily or recycle it properly with time by time.n dont put any unknown chemicals in it without any idea.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom