Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-14-2005, 11:10 AM   #21
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinman
You mentioned not to reintroduce the sponge block back into the main tank after Hypo. Can you tell me why? Wouldn't all the ich parasites be killed after the 6 week hypo?
Yes it would, simpley a safety precaution. Ideally you want the equip/materials used for the main and QT to always remain seperate. It prevents careless mistakes more than anything. "Habits" can often be hard to break and people commonly make mistakes which re infect the main display or prolong problems. Once your done with the current QT process, you will be wanting more fish correct? So you should just leave things as they are.

If you want to transfer it back after all is said and done, rinse in fresh RO water to remove organics build up and let air dry a few days. Then it can be placed back in the main. If you will still be aquiring new animals, best leave it up and cycled, just remember to feed it a few times a week to feed the bacteria if there are no fish in it.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-14-2005, 04:42 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

Speaking of feeding the QT while void of fish, I assume I should be feeding my main tank while it goes fallow for 6 weeks? If so, I can simply add the ammoniam chloride powder i bought back on day one when i started my cycle. Or do most of you just throw in some fish food every few days?

Mike

120 g FOWLR, Pro Clear 200 19 gal. sump (bio balls removed), 50# Walt Smith FiJi LR, 150# reefersrock base, 300# DSB, Iwaki MD 20 return, (2) Rio 600s, (2) Hagen 802s, Amiracle Quad II skimmer, (2) Coralife 4 X 65s, 2 Lebo moonlights, (2) 120 mm vent. fans,

(2) Perc. Clowns, (1) Yellow Tang, (1) cleaner shrimp, (2) Henis, pending: Foxace Lo, Flame Angel, blue legs, scarlets, 4 emerald crabs, nassarius snails, 50 mexican turbos, (1) good bankruptcy attorney when this hobby blows out of control!
spinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 04:51 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
Or do most of you just throw in some fish food every few days?
Thats the best way. 2-3 times a week, light feeding. The inverts will still need to eat.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:50 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

The Hippo and the other Banner bit the dust this morning. Only the 2 Clowns and the YT are left.
120 g FOWLR, Pro Clear 200 19 gal. sump (bio balls removed), 50# Walt Smith FiJi LR, 150# reefersrock base, 300# DSB, Iwaki MD 20 return, (2) Rio 600s, (2) Hagen 802s, Amiracle Quad II skimmer, (2) Coralife 4 X 65s, 2 Lebo moonlights, (2) 120 mm vent. fans,

(2) Perc. Clowns, (1) Yellow Tang, (1) cleaner shrimp, (2) Henis, pending: Foxace Lo, Flame Angel, blue legs, scarlets, 4 emerald crabs, nassarius snails, 50 mexican turbos, (1) good bankruptcy attorney when this hobby blows out of control!
Old 10-16-2005, 06:11 PM   #25
steve-s

How are your water parameters NH3, NO2, NO3, pH/Alk, salinity and how often are water changes being done?

Sorry for your loss.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-22-2005, 06:16 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

All,

Sorry for the delay in responding. I just didn't have time to check numbers this past week. As of today, the YT and the Clowns seem to be doing OK. No ammonia showing up, thanks to the sponge block from the main tank. At first, I was swapping out 5 gallons of water every day in order to bring the SG to 1.009. So I don't think I had enough ammonia to kill the BHT and Banner. So my guess is the BHT and the Banner were just too sick with ich and the moving stress to weather it out.

While I deal with the next 5 weeks of this process, should I continue with normal PWCs in the main tank, or can it be lessened or scaled back?

Thx

Mike

Tags
ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com