i know it's late...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

murcos

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got a new copperband a few days ago, and put him in a q-tank when i got him. He's been being treated with copper the last 4 days...however, the nitrates in the tank soared. I don't know what happened because I took the water from the main tank, and today the levels were right on when I tested. The levels in the q-tank are currently, ammnia - 1, nitrite - .25, and nitrate 10(ppm). I did a quick water change when I found them high, and this is still the levels they are at. Is it better to leave him and continue with changes, or should I put him in the main tank to ensure he doesn't die from the high levels and maybe risk the other fish getting a disease if he isn't totally healthy? Please help!

This is common in a QT. Keep up on the water changes, up to several daily and complete the tx.

should i have done this?

Another reefer last night on another site told me to put him into my main tank or else he would probably die. I acclimated him and released him in (and he does look happier) but should I have done this? Is this going to cause major problems in my main tank? I am in the process of upgrading my tank this weekend to a bigger tank, and all the fish I am getting (the person who gave me the tank is also giving me his fish, although I am not keeping most) wil be put in the q-tank when the levels settle down.

Thanks for the help...I appreciate the wisdom!

Re: should i have done this?

murcos said:
... should I have done this? Is this going to cause major problems in my main tank?

If you were treating him with medication I assume it's because you were concerned he had a disease? If he hadn't fully recovered and you've released him into your display tank the worst case scenario could be you've exposed the rest of your tank to that disease.

all the fish I am getting ... wil be put in the q-tank when the levels settle down.
IMO, dump and throughly clean your QT after each use. You should be starting with fresh water from your main each time you need your QT.

Adding a fish right into your main display is quite a gamble. Any disease it may be carrying has now contaminated your main tank and should you have a break out, all of your fish will then need to be QT'd and treated. But, sometimes you get lucky. I hope this is the case for you. Good luck with your new fish.

thanks

THanks for the advice guys. I will keep my fingers crossed about the main tank.

Billy, I grew up in Buffalo! Nice to meet a fellow east coaster!

I was treating him with copper. I don't know if he had ick or not, but I try and quar all my new fish and treat just to be on the safe side.

Well thats up to you but I would not treat them unless you know for sure. Some fish dont handle the copper too good. Purpose of QT is to observe and see if treatment is needed. At least you do QT

As melosu said do not treat unless you know they have something. Copper treatment is hard on fish. IMO hypo is a much better treatment for ich.

Murcos why dont you just get something to remove the copper and then watch the fish for a couple of weeks without it. I agree with the rest and not treat the fish if they dont show signs of anything. I would think it would be a fair statement to say that if in 4 weeks you dont see signs of ick, your not going to. The fish being in a new tank and new surroundings, I would think would be enough to stress the fish and show the ick..just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom