I lost a porcupine puffer :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

minnierdz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just started my saltwater tank recently and I had all the water tested to make sure i could make fish additions. Over the weekend my roommate and I caught a blowfish and a pufferfish. the blowfish was tiny, about an inch long and the puffer was about an inch and a half. They seemed to settle into the tank well but this morning when i went to check on them i couldn't find the blowfish. It had gotten sucked into the canister filter tube thingy. I was pretty upset since the fish was very lively and cute and well, we were wondering what could we do to prevent this from happening. also if anyone knew where we could probably buy one in the central tx or dallas area. The petshops we've gone to don't have the blowfish or purcupine puffers (are they the same thing?)

Sorry for your loss. Try covering your intake with a sponge. You should be able to find one at the LFS. I use them on the filter intake as well as the PH's to keep my anemone from getting sucked up. HTH

thanks..we'll definately be shopping for a spone to cover both those things!

It's impossible to say, but it may have been dead already then sucked in...sorry to hear...

If you get a thin sponge a little larger then your opening, you can just use a rubber band or nylon tie strap to secure it to the hose.

you say you caught it. do you mean you actually caught it in the ocean or is that some kind of metaphor?

i live close to the ocean and if i can catch fish like that, the hell with the LFS.

well to answer the first person-yes it may have been dead but it seemed fine when we put it in, it was swimming around, checkin its surroundings and stuff. To answer you $imple, yeah we caught it, as with a net about an hour from corpus, it was in shallow water. but i doubt i can catch the other fish i want, unless i move to hawaii. :) http://store1.yimg.com/I/marinedepotlive_1804_13238841 is a link to what it kinda looked like. except it was rounder..maybe cause it was younger? but the same lines on it.

yes i did acclimate the fish. The other puffer i added did fine. I really think the filter's suction was too strong for it. they liked (like) hanging around there. we've since placed a sponge on there to prevent it from happening again. :)

You said the tank was new... how new... many newbies (such as myself) mistake good levels for a properly cycled tank. This is often not the case.

You said the tank was new... how new... many newbies (such as myself) mistake good levels for a properly cycled tank. This is often not the case.

Back
Top Bottom