Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-20-2009, 06:31 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Question I need some help

Every time I add a new fish in my tank he gets ick. I know the ick is present in the tank and none of the other fish have it or seem to show signs of it. I would like to know what I can do to stop this ick from attacking every new fish I put in my tank. I use some seachem. products to mix up in the foods, I feed my fish that is suppose to help the ick. I do not think it it works all that well. Im about ready to take my aquarium and start all over if I can`t get this problem solved. Can anyone help me with this problem.

lisamarie1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:17 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Welcome to the site!
You will need to leave the tank fallow for around 6 weeks so the ich will starve. You will need a QT and should QT all new additions to avoid new fungal/bacterial and parasitic infestations.

Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:32 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Sorry for the long post, but I want to make a point. A few Q's.
1) what size tank
2) how many fish
3) how old is your tank(post cycle)
4) what are your water Q readings (Am, Ni, Na,etc)
As roka says, you would have to remove the fish, treat them for SW ich in a seperate QT tank and have them removed from your DT for at least 6 weeks post the last time your see a white spot on your fish. This will kill ich that is in your tank now. From then on you would have to QT each new addition not only for the the possiblity of ich but for any other problems, ie helping it to regain it's strength, seeing if it eats ok and calm it down from all the stress ect...
It is always best to QT only one fish at a time because "and think of this" what happens if each new fish in your QT would come down with a different diease, how would you treat that!!! Get the picture.
thincat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:07 PM   #4
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Moved to the sick fish forum.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com