I need some help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lisamarie1961

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Every time I add a new fish in my tank he gets ick. I know the ick is present in the tank and none of the other fish have it or seem to show signs of it. I would like to know what I can do to stop this ick from attacking every new fish I put in my tank. I use some seachem. products to mix up in the foods, I feed my fish that is suppose to help the ick. I do not think it it works all that well. Im about ready to take my aquarium and start all over if I can`t get this problem solved. Can anyone help me with this problem.
Thanks

Welcome to the site!
You will need to leave the tank fallow for around 6 weeks so the ich will starve. You will need a QT and should QT all new additions to avoid new fungal/bacterial and parasitic infestations.

Sorry for the long post, but I want to make a point. A few Q's.
1) what size tank
2) how many fish
3) how old is your tank(post cycle)
4) what are your water Q readings (Am, Ni, Na,etc)
As roka says, you would have to remove the fish, treat them for SW ich in a seperate QT tank and have them removed from your DT for at least 6 weeks post the last time your see a white spot on your fish. This will kill ich that is in your tank now. From then on you would have to QT each new addition not only for the the possiblity of ich but for any other problems, ie helping it to regain it's strength, seeing if it eats ok and calm it down from all the stress ect...
It is always best to QT only one fish at a time because "and think of this" what happens if each new fish in your QT would come down with a different diease, how would you treat that!!! Get the picture.

Back
Top Bottom