Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-09-2006, 09:14 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Civicman86
I swear I have the worse luck with SW fish!

I wake up to see my clown stuck to the sucker thing on my powerhead. I freak out and get him off he seems fine. A little dissoriented but still able to swim and breathe. I look down and back up, no fish. So now mr hudiene (sp?) has me looking for him for the next 30 minutes. I cant find him anywhere. I get a flahlight out and now both are gone. I open the fuge doors and both they sit. The smaller dead the bigger just swimming like nothing happened. The big one now has some wounds on its tail fin area but seems to be doing fine. I turned the sump pump off until I get home tonight so I can keep an eye on him.

What do you all suggest for a strainer for the overflow?

I dont think anyone has as bad as luck as me. From fish jumping to just dieing (thankfully only 2) and now getting sucked down the overflow takes another one! At least my skunk cleaner is still kickin it but I shouldnt get my hopes up since we will probally be checking out by the time I get home from classes with my luck.

Old 01-09-2006, 09:31 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A healthy fish shouldn't get stuck to a powerhead intake. I'd think he's probably weak from illness. From what I've seen of my fish swimming around my powerheads and overflow, it's not nearly enough to force them anywhere.

I actually have a cleaner wrasse that treats my overflow as his personal room. He goes in and out of there at will.

Old 01-09-2006, 09:34 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

One was sick and got sucked in. The other, MAYBE still healthy went in looking for the other. That's only a guess.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 10:04 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah the other was swimming around for a while. He is pretty big and beefy, he seems to still be doing fine. I guess until he heals ill keep the sump off or at least off until I can watch the tank. I swear I am on my last straw though.

BTW my overflow is just a bulkhead with a 90* elbow. Not an actual box. So yeah they both went through all the pvc into the bottom tank.

I guess Im lucky that one survived.

Pray for me lol. If this day continues on this path Im in big trouble lol. First day of classes and my schedule is not fun. Thermo, Statics, Design of Engineering Chemicals, and then Physics 2 :-\
Old 01-09-2006, 01:01 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
You can get a pvc strainer in just about any size and I would just to be on the safe side. Glad one of them survived.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 01:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Even if there were no current, I could certainly see fish swimming through an open pipe.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorfreak
Even if there were no current, I could certainly see fish swimming through an open pipe.
Yeah but the top is almost at surface level (90* points straight up). Its almost like they went up to it and stopped swimming and got sucked down. They were swimming fine, at least the female was. Only thing I can think of is that she went looking for the other one :-\ Lets hope she is still doign ok when I get home tonight.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com