Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-22-2004, 10:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think I have ich

I came home from work, and noticed my smaller clown was rubbing against the coral. I watched for awhile as he continued to swim up and down. He continued to rub against the coral; so I became concerned. I looked closely, and he's got white spots on his tail, and some on his body. So what is my best course of action? Help me please?

Maiden's Hair, Calerpa, and Red Kelp macro algae.
X the Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 10:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh yeah my water parameters are where they are supposed to be. I've had the clowns for almost a month, and they are tank-raised.

Old 11-23-2004, 10:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Do you have a qt tank?
Old 11-23-2004, 10:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

That would be a no. It looks like both clowns are infected. The jawfish look ok so far, but since they are so light it's hard to tell. I saw something on hyposalinity. Is that safe?

So far all of my fish are still eating, and are active, but the white spots are still there. I was told garlic, and all sorts of meds. I put some garlic in there to boost their immune systems. I have yet to try meds, mainly because I've been mislead before. I also turned the heat up. It was at 81, and now it's at 83.

So I guess should I try hyposalinity or is their another method?

Old 11-24-2004, 12:18 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Any inverts, live rock?
Really need to remove all the fish to a qt for treatment and leave the main tank void of fish for 6 weeks. This will allow the parasite in the main to die off.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:31 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't have any live rock, and I'm glad I put off on inverts.

Old 11-24-2004, 11:27 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you truly have a fish only tank with no other life in it, you could treat it with hypo. Here is good article describing.
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/tr...osalinity.html
You would need a good refractometer, hydrometers are just not accurate enough.
You can purchase a good one cheap here
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch...ode=Hydrometer
May want to consider a 10 gallon qt tank for the future. Worth their weight in gold IMO.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

The qt tank is next on my priorities for my fish. It's going to have to wait until after Christmas though. Thank you for your help!

Old 11-26-2004, 10:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hey X:

Hyposalinity is a pretty decent treatment. I've used it successfully. I prefer it to adding lots of chemicals (but would if I had to), but invest in a good refractometer for certain. I threw my swing-arm away, it was so off-the-mark.

--Aquabear

FW1-16g, 5 Zebra danios, 4 Pristella Tetras, 4 Black Skirt Tetras, 2 Gold Barbs, 1 Brush-nose Pleco
FW2-5g, 1 Baby Gold Marble Angel (raised from fry), 6 Zebra Danios
SW1-75g, (80# LR), Scarlett hermits, Turbo snails, Percula Clownfish (Gizmo), Oscellaris Clownfish (Whizzer), Indian Yellowtail Angelfish (Mikado), Royal Gramma (Orpheus), Black Sailfin Blenny (Casper), Yellow Tang (Pele), Racoon Butterflyfish (Raptor), Lyretail Anthia (Juliette)
FW3-30g, 2 mated Gold Marble Angels (Oscar/Yenta)
SW2-20g, QT, currently empty
FW4-30g, currently empty
FW5-20g, 2 Gold Angels (non-paired)
SW3-35g (REFUGIUM for SW1) - EVIL ChocChipStar, Nassarius and Turbo snails
SW4-55g, 4 BlueGreen Chromis, King's Crown snail.
AquaBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com