Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-01-2009, 09:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think I have seriously bad fish karma

Just a brief recap - I bought an established 55G last fall and added fish gradually but without a QT. No big surprise, my tank got the dreaded ICH. I pulled the fish out into a hospital tank and treated with hyposalinity. Four weeks after the last sign of ich, I brought all but one of the remaining fish back to the LFS. I kept one bangai cardinal at put him back in the main tank. The main tank was fishless for seven weeks.

Having learned my lesson I set up a QT and added one new fish at a time. The second fish I added was a royal gramma. Four weeks in QT with no sign of ich so I added him to the tank. Now, after a few weeks in the main tank I see tell tale salt specks on his fins. Seriously??? I thought I was doing everything the right way this time!!

I have a blue chromis in the QT right now. What should I do???

Old 04-02-2009, 01:04 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooju View Post
Having learned my lesson I set up a QT and added one new fish at a time. The second fish I added was a royal gramma. Four weeks in QT with no sign of ich so I added him to the tank....
I'm a little confused by your wording, so let me ask a couple questions...

Was there only one fish at a time in the QT? Or were there multiple fish in there, added in stages? (That 4-week quarantine period for new fish always assumes that no new fish are added. If a new fish is added to the QT, the 4-week clock starts over.)

You say the gramma was the second fish you added - what happened to the first? If it died, did you disinfect the tank before adding the gramma?

Old 04-02-2009, 10:03 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
Was there only one fish at a time in the QT? Or were there multiple fish in there, added in stages?
The first new fish was a canary wrasse, quarantined by himself for four weeks and then released into the main tank. He's doing fine (so far). Then I got the gramma and quarantined him by himself for four weeks. He's been in the tank for a few weeks, and the new chromis has been in the QT during that time. I was trying to do everything by the book!

Tags
rio

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com