I think I have seriously bad fish karma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sooju

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just a brief recap - I bought an established 55G last fall and added fish gradually but without a QT. No big surprise, my tank got the dreaded ICH. I pulled the fish out into a hospital tank and treated with hyposalinity. Four weeks after the last sign of ich, I brought all but one of the remaining fish back to the LFS. I kept one bangai cardinal at put him back in the main tank. The main tank was fishless for seven weeks.

Having learned my lesson I set up a QT and added one new fish at a time. The second fish I added was a royal gramma. Four weeks in QT with no sign of ich so I added him to the tank. Now, after a few weeks in the main tank I see tell tale salt specks on his fins. Seriously??? I thought I was doing everything the right way this time!!

I have a blue chromis in the QT right now. What should I do???

Having learned my lesson I set up a QT and added one new fish at a time. The second fish I added was a royal gramma. Four weeks in QT with no sign of ich so I added him to the tank....

I'm a little confused by your wording, so let me ask a couple questions...

Was there only one fish at a time in the QT? Or were there multiple fish in there, added in stages? (That 4-week quarantine period for new fish always assumes that no new fish are added. If a new fish is added to the QT, the 4-week clock starts over.)

You say the gramma was the second fish you added - what happened to the first? If it died, did you disinfect the tank before adding the gramma?

Was there only one fish at a time in the QT? Or were there multiple fish in there, added in stages?
The first new fish was a canary wrasse, quarantined by himself for four weeks and then released into the main tank. He's doing fine (so far). Then I got the gramma and quarantined him by himself for four weeks. He's been in the tank for a few weeks, and the new chromis has been in the QT during that time. I was trying to do everything by the book!

Back
Top Bottom