I think I have worms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spikey

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a occilarus that has started to show signs of being ill. Yesterday I notices that he had a blood stain around his nose and forehead (I thought he may have had a little fight with the wife); however today I noticed that he had a white bump around his nose. There is a thread from mrg02d that I have taken advise from; I have given him a fresh water bath, I noted that there was what looked like a worm and a white lump (like when you squeeze a pimple).

My question is how often should I give my Occ a bath, is there something more I should be doing? I am sorry no pictures, I tried but were so bad not worth putting up. will try again tomorrow with the pic

I`m not a fan of freshwater baths. All they do is stress out more an already stressed out fish, even to the point of death.. I know it`s hard but can you get a pic of this?

That sounds more like a fungal infection. A pic might help better.

I think I have a photo

Have a look at the photo, the white part seems to be hard (solid) around the top of the white part there is like a redish ting (like a bruise). I have noticed that she is a little more timid today, she still comes to the glass for a kiss and will come and get food. Her fins are up but she does not seem quite right.

1 other thing after I gave her the fresh water dip; she seemed to have holes where the white stuff is; this has grown back.dori2.jpg

dori1.jpg

Last edited:
I agree that it sounds like a fungal problem. Pimafix is a medicine for fungal problem. Dont do anymore FW baths. I believe that`s the reason for the fish being listless. If you do treat the fish you`ll need to do it in a QT. It will wipe out your good bacteria if you use it in the main tank.

1 Day in QT

Have a look at these photos, 1 day in QT with the Pimafix. She is looking much better. Thanks for the advise.Dori-recovering.jpg

dori2.jpg

Sorry about the quality, I am using my phone. camera still in the shop.

Day 3 of treatment

3 days in QT and treatment; I think it has got worse?
I have a (bad) photo it looks like today the white part has got bigger. Do you still think it is a fungal infection?DSC00338.jpg

DSC00337.jpg

Agree with discontinuing the freshwater dip but ONLY because you are going down the fungal diagnosis route. Freshwater dips are very effective for parasites, flukes, velvet, etc (non bacterial/fungal). I haven't found many (if any) marine biologists in the field that discount the practice. It's one of many, including hyposalinity, herbal additives, pharmaceutical products that are used. Each causes stress in the fish. While many who don't like it will point to the fact that the fish dies as the cause while they don't use the same rational when fish die from hypo or any other treatment. In those cases the fish was just too sick to make it through the treatment not the treatment it's self.

While I did the 1st dip, I was sure I sore 1 long thin thing in the water (worm), the white spot on the fish was gone. As you said I am going down the fungus line. While I gave my fish a dip for the 1st 20 seconds she appeared stressed; however, after that she seemed to be ok. What I did was I floated the fresh water in the main tank so she still had her familiar environment. She seemed to be ok (not loving it but ok). Currently she is fine, fins up eating and she now comes to me for a kiss. Both her and her partner visibly miss each other. They may want to make eggs once they are reunited.

Back
Top Bottom