I think I know what killed my clam....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bizzybeas

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently submitted a post where some of my corals were dying and my crocea clam died. It went from looking AWESOME to dead in a day.

I do remember awakening one morning to whar I thought were baby snails all over the glass. I have two kinds of these. Some are oblong shaped and I thought they were baby nassarius snails, but they never really grew much. I also have some bigger rounder ones. ( no idea what these are)

I never consided the pest snails to be the clam killing culprit because it happened so fast, AND I have a 6 line wrasse for this purpose only. I saved the clam shell and noticed a few of the oblong type shells along the attachment area.

Does this sound like the parasite? If so, how do I get rid of them so I can order another clam? I will make no mistakes this time and order clams from clamsdirect.com :x

The only way I"m aware is either with the wrasse you have or to manually remove them.

Does this sound like the parasite? If so, how do I get rid of them so I can order another clam? I will make no mistakes this time and order clams from clamsdirect.com

Yes that sounds like pyrimid snails. you can get rid of them in your tank by keeping them hos free for a month or so, problem is, this means removing your snails as well as any clams. The sixline wrasse will help keep the numbers at bay. I would give it a month, keeping close eye for any of the little sucker on your snails, then try again.

FWIW, I do not believe they were the cause of your clams demise. While when a clam goes it goes quick...the circumstances of the other coral deaths leads me to believe something got into the water.

Reefy you are probably right. The snails have been in there for several months. (probably 4 or 5). I am searching hard for answers so I can prevent it from happening again! 8O

Back
Top Bottom