I think I might have ick in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i read few books of marine aquarist from the pro an none suggested on the uv cause it may also remove the beneficial bacteria which may cause desaster to ur fully matured tank....i had number of prob on ich especially on blue tangs.....and once on my flame angel...... i did quarantine the blu tang even. maybe crowd? and raising of temp will never work but might effect on the corals which i encountered b4 ........try takin it out and soaked it into ' stressguard' a new product by seachem. i try soakin my ich fish for 15sec in a liter of saltwater with few drops of stressguard. and do it for 5 days and it works!

My fish are all ok. They seem to have beat the ich on their own. I would credit soaking my food in garlic, tempature of 82 degrees and running a uv sterilizer. After much research I have found that UV sterilizers do not directly effect corals. Thanks for you input though.

i read few books of marine aquarist from the pro an none suggested on the uv cause it may also remove the beneficial bacteria which may cause desaster to ur fully matured tank

Whose book did you read that says that?

and raising of temp will never work

This has been proven far and wide to lessen the cycle of ICH and also act as a preventative of ICH establishing.

try takin it out and soaked it into ' stressguard' a new product by seachem. i try soakin my ich fish for 15sec in a liter of saltwater with few drops of stressguard. and do it for 5 days and it works!

Could you imagine being caught in a net everyday for 5 days and then put in a strange surrounding only to be placed back in the original surroundings? Sounds majorly stressfull to me...I would think the fish would never rid of ICH this way, since it is mostly brought on by stress and changes in water chemistry.

Quote:

i read few books of marine aquarist from the pro an none suggested on the uv cause it may also remove the beneficial bacteria which may cause desaster to ur fully matured tank

Whose book did you read that says that?

While it will not cause a disaster, UV will kill nitrifying bacteria that pass through it. The reason it won't cause a disaster is because these bacfteria are not freefloating, they colonize surfaces. Percentage wise there are very few in the water column at any given time.

Quote:

and raising of temp will never work

This has been proven far and wide to lessen the cycle of ICH and also act as a preventative of ICH establishing.

I have a theory on this as well. I do not believe the temp has a direct effect on the parasite (accept to quicken the life cycle) but it has a direct effect on the fish. The average reef temp is 82-84 F, lots of people keep their tanks (I was once guilty as well, and would argue the point till I was blue in the face, just ask anemoneman) at abnormally low temps, this puts stress on the fish, which makes it more likely it will come down with the parasite.

Quote:

try takin it out and soaked it into ' stressguard' a new product by seachem. i try soakin my ich fish for 15sec in a liter of saltwater with few drops of stressguard. and do it for 5 days and it works!

Could you imagine being caught in a net everyday for 5 days and then put in a strange surrounding only to be placed back in the original surroundings? Sounds majorly stressfull to me...I would think the fish would never rid of ICH this way, since it is mostly brought on by stress and changes in water chemistry.

(y) Agree 100%, any type of bath where the fish must be caught on a daily basis for 5 days, is not an effective or healthy treatment, IMO.

Quote:

Quote:

Agree 100%, any type of bath where the fish must be caught on a daily basis for 5 days, is not an effective or healthy treatment, IMO.

Not to mention, anyone who could catch a fish 5 days in a row in my rock filled reef is very talented. :lol:

got to mentioned it though that u are too narrow michael...... it dont need much talent but just a little thinkin....u can of cause trap ur fish in a small trap in the main tank for 5 days for treatment and realease it then. ..............and timbo it sound major stressful if u are the one to be soaked in the stressguard , be realistic, raising of temp maybe stressful too? lowering salinity will be stressful too!!, getting a fish from the sea and put it into ur small tank would be stressful too!! and 'Dont Think OR Imagine or make urself like a fish cause u are not one'.Fishes may still swims if they dont eat for 5days but u can't even crawl without eating,stop imaginating. SEACHEM IS A BIG COMPANY and they are not stupid , stressguard is very sellable though. fishes has been treated with it.and thats how they do it, how can u jump to that?

Edited, because I don't want to contribute to a pointless argument. Everyone is entitled to there opinion on the best treatment for ick. I do not subscribe to the "stressgard" treatment, for the reasons in my previous post, I will not allow the thread to deteriorate to bickering. Be mindful how you post, this thread is in jeopardy of
padlock.gif

This is my thread and It has rendered some very informative things. If you method works for you then good. Dont bicker at someone because you dont agree with their treatment. I told everyone the method I used to get rid of ich and it worked. So far thats a 100% success rate. Will it work everytime? I dont know. But I know that last time I got ich I did not have a UV and I lost a fish. I got a UV now and the fish beat ich. Coinsedence? I dunno?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom