Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-09-2003, 03:39 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to rthoman Send a message via MSN to rthoman Send a message via Yahoo to rthoman
I have heard that they can get over it themselves. One of the LFS's here uses UV on all his tanks. He has a 700+ gallon tank with 4 huge UV's on it. He believes strongly in using them. I even heard him ask someone if they had one, they said no and he told them to get one before he would sell them a Powder Blue Tang.

Old 04-09-2003, 06:47 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
From the way it looks my fish are going to be fine. It has been three days and they are still active and eating. Thanks for the help guys.

Old 04-09-2003, 08:50 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

I asked Dr. Ron Shimek the same questions here is what he had to say.

Quote:
Hi

... just answer the questions I ask.

In my forum I will pretty much answer as I choose.

What effects will the UV have on my corals? I know they kill zooplankton but will it effect my corals really bad, or just a little bit?

Properly adjusted it will kill all plankton that passes through it. It will not effect your corals directly.

However, how come my clowns, yellow tang, neon dottyback and damsels have never had any problems?

Ich organisms are probably present in most tanks. They become apparent on the fish when the fish are stressed. Introducing new fish causes stress.

Is it because I keep my tank at 82 degrees and soak everyone of their meals in garlic?

Probably this is irrelevent.

I found it humorous that he said he would answer whatever he wants on his forum. Cant really argue with him there. He said it would kill the plankton but not affect corals, I thought corals need plankton as food. I also dont understand why the temp and garlic are irrelevent.

Anyone have thoughts on this. I know Kevin is a big Dr. Ron fan.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:59 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
hmmm, lots of probablies.....

I find it hard to listen/read him just because of his overall tone..I find it condescending and offensive. (yeah, I know those werent the thoughts you were asking about )
Old 04-09-2003, 09:41 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

I must say I agree with what you said about his tone. Ive asked him two questions and he always talked down to me.

One time I asked him what his thoughts on keeping multiple angels together. He said "I never have and dont plan to, so it doesnt matter to me." I could not belive he could not make it sound a little more polite.

If he does not want to do the job he should quit and just be a member. Every read his stickies? Sounds like he hates what he is doing. What a waste of his vast knowledge of the hobby.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:51 PM   #16

Don't let that bother you MP,

You know, I know a lot of people with degrees and years of knowledge in something. It definately does not mean they know it all. In fact, the more they worship themselves, the more bull$h*t comes out of their mouths. (I do not mean this to be offensive to none other than the source provided) I don't care how much he praises himself, he is not the best there is, and definately not the last word on the subject.
I look at it like this, Computer systems are evolving everyday, but if I told you how you could fix up that old 486, you would laugh at me, because in todays standards, it is not even worth the metal that was used to build it. Hmm
There are advances in this hobby that far surpass anything he has contributed. There are more people out there with actual PHD's in Marine Biology and not just Biology.

I have read a lot of the threads in his forum and would have to say, I have seen more contradictions in his own words to even consider him a source of good advice these days. I also do not like the way he is condescending either, can't you tell?
I get more out of this forum in the short while I have been a member, than I will get out of him in a lifetime... He is old and washed up in IMO.

Oh yeah, his last line in the Biography:

Am fat, balding and arrogant. All else subject to change without notice.

Old 04-09-2003, 11:20 PM   #17

I would like to add that I don't mean the man is not educated. He is. His attitude does not earn merit from me.

Old 04-09-2003, 11:54 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I know Kevin is a big Dr. Ron fan.

While I think he is extremely knowledgable in some subjects, I think he is a jerk and he is not my guru. I think he pretty much echoed what I already said, but I was a hell of alot nicer. I come off bad in some of my posts, not sure where the problem is, I'm likable enough in real life, but as long as Dr Ron is posting, I am thankful. When people think I come off heavy handed or arrogant, I can point to him and say, I am not the most arrogant reefer on the net.....

Visit Nature Coast Photography
Old 04-10-2003, 12:02 AM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Just a few things to add.

The reason a UV unit really wont damage your corals is because it is only going to KILL those things that come into direct contact with the light. While a properly configured UV as Dr Ron said will kill all plankton that passes through it what it wont do is kill plankton that does NOT pass thru it.

Unless you have a very HIGH wattage UV bulb on your tank with it inline with your main circulation pump so the water in effect comes into contact with the UV several times an hour you wont run into a case where its killing to many benifical things.

Ich is a parasite that has various live stages and only 1 of those stages is visable to us in the white spots on the fish. You should consiter your tank at risk of an ich reinfestation for a period of 1 month after you see ich leave the fish's body.

In addition the UV filter will be of little help to the ich parasite when its doment in the substrate. The only real time the UV would come into play would be when the parasite is in its free floating stage in a search for a host. Or immediatly after the cists burst on the fish and release the larva back into the water column and before they have a chance to settle onto the rocks and substrate.

As you know keeping yoru tank warmer will help fight off the parasite as it can not handle the warmer temps as well as the corals and fish.

The garlic comment I am supprised at. I would not have suspected Dr Ron to be using something that has not been found to be scientificly benifical to fight ich. What garlic has been observed to do is to help rid the fish of the visual life stage of the parasite. Its not really known why this happens. Some say the garlic oil increases the fish's slime coat. Others say the garlic increases the fish's appitite thus increasing its immune system and overall health.

As of the last article I read about garlic it stated that there was yet to be any true scientific evidence as to it helping to rid your tank of ich but there are many hobbiests at all levels that have used it and experenced benifical results.

Acutally I did not know kevin was a big fan of Dr. Ron. Unless you ment that in a scarcastic way. We do suggest his articles on DSB's but I dont know how far beyond that his passion for the man extends.

The likly suspect is stress from the move from the LFS to your tank.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:02 AM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Well, I think everyone agrees on Dr. Ron.

Tags
ick, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com