Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-08-2003, 07:18 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
I think I might have ick in my tank

I purchased three fish and put them in my tank. I will admit I did not quarintine them so please do not chastise me on that subject, just answer the questions I ask. Thanks.

I got a blue tang, potters angel and flame angel. Yesterday I noticed the tang was scratching on rocks. No visible problems but he could have ick in his gills. I also noticed one white spot on the flame and the potters. It looked more like dust from the rocks and whatnot but I wanted to be careful so I went ahead and put my newly purchased 15w UV sterilizer on my tank. It has been running for one day.

Now for the questions.

What effects will the UV have on my corals? I know they kill zooplankton but will it effect my corals really bad, or just a little bit?

These fish have been heathy at the store for weeks, so that leads me to believe my tank to be the problem. However, how come my clowns, yellow tang, neon dottyback and damsels have never had any problems? Is it because I keep my tank at 82 degrees and soak everyone of their meals in garlic?

The fish are eating really good and look very fat and healthy. I guess I am more concerned what the uv will do to my corals. I belive my fish will be ok, but it baffles me because if there is ick in my tank I am sure the yellow tang would have picked it up by now, hes been in there like 6 months.

Let me know what you think.thanks

Old 04-08-2003, 08:06 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I will admit I did not quarintine them so please do not chastise me on that subject
Well, I know I've done the same thing, so no chastisement here

Quote:
Yesterday I noticed the tang was scratching on rocks. No visible problems but he could have ick in his gills.
Could be ick, but it also could be the behavior of the tang. IME, Regal blue tangs (Paracanthurus hepatus) are prone to giving their owners heart attacks by scratching against rocks. I've never had one or seen one that didn't appreciate a good scratching, much to the owners chagrin. Right now, I wouldn't fret too much, until you see some visible signs of ick.

Quote:
It looked more like dust from the rocks and whatnot
That's probably what it is.

Quote:
What effects will the UV have on my corals?
None what so ever.

Quote:
I know they kill zooplankton but will it effect my corals really bad, or just a little bit?
Not at all, IME, UVs do not depopulate the plankton in the tank that much. Most of the multicellular organisms that pass through a UV survive the first trip through, the catch 22 is that in order for your UV to be efficient enough to kill everything that passes through it, the flow rate has to be very slow, to increase contact time with the UV radiation, so for the water to be slow enough for a high kill rate, you do not turn over enough water to be efficient. Also the only thing that can possibly be killed by it, must leave the tank and pass through the sterilizer. IMO, a 15W UV is nowhere near big enough for a 100g tank (I am assuming it's on your 100). But it may be enough to keep things at bay and give your fish a little time.

Quote:
These fish have been heathy at the store for weeks, so that leads me to believe my tank to be the problem.
Doubtful. The parasite is almost always present, it is just when the fish is weakened or stressed that it becomes a problem, this is, of course, a side effect of moving the fish from their old home at the LFS to the new tank.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
Old 04-08-2003, 08:09 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Thanks for the advice Kevin. Can I or should I run my UV sterilizer 24-7? I was told that I only needed 9w for a 100, I got the 15 to be safe. Maybe I will sell it and get me a 36 watt model.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:14 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Can I or should I run my UV sterilizer 24-7?
Yes you can, should you??? I don't see why not.

Quote:
I was told that I only needed 9w for a 100, I got the 15 to be safe.
It really depends on the model and the flow rates. I haven't used one for many years, have a couple in the closet that have been there for a while, so I am not familiar with the new designs. The double helix sounds promising, but after Hara's post a few days ago, I would question their longevity.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
Old 04-08-2003, 09:53 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I ran the 36 watt sterilzer non stop on the 150 from before christmas until the day we moved things to the 175. Corals grew wonderfully well, fish stayed healthy....so did the cyano...but nothing can combat my overfeeding apparently
Old 04-08-2003, 09:57 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Man that makes me feel a whole lot better. I was really nervous about running a uv on a reef. However hearing of accual experiece really means alot, rather than someone saying they "heard" it wasnt good.

Anyone else have similar experieces?
Old 04-08-2003, 11:19 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Kudos to you guys.

I will give others kudos for their opinions on this subject.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:34 AM   #8

I will add something to this, The UV will do nothing for the ICH on the fish. It will only kill what is water borne and gets in the flow of the UV. I did the same thing with my Yellow Tang and it had ICH. For 3 days it scratched and scratched. To the point that scales were missing from one side... None of the other fish were affected. I moved The YT to a QT and dosed with Formalin for 3 days and then placed it back n the main tank. So far it is healthier than ever.

I run my 8 watt Rainbow Lifegaurd UV 24 7. I think it is more than sufficient for this tank. and I have the maximum flow going through it.. 250gph.

No signs of ICH or anything bad in the tank right now. I think you have enough on the tank with your UV. Remember, that the more watts may be even more detrimental to the parasites but create a lot of heat also... I have read that an 8 watt UV is good for up to 75 gal.. so, I would think the 15 is good for at least 125.

UV will also rid the tank of free floating algae cells since most of the nuisance algae are single cell organisms also.

Old 04-09-2003, 01:08 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I will add something to this, The UV will do nothing for the ICH on the fish. It will only kill what is water borne and gets in the flow of the UV. I did the same thing with my Yellow Tang and it had ICH. For 3 days it scratched and scratched. To the point that scales were missing from one side... None of the other fish were affected. I moved The YT to a QT and dosed with Formalin for 3 days and then placed it back n the main tank. So far it is healthier than ever.
I have not personally experienced anything except what I am doing right now. However I have heard of people saying they had a fish get over ich by using a uv sterilizer. I am not 100% sure they even have ich yet, just a hunch. My tank is at 82 degrees and I am feeding food soaked in garlic (fish are getting garlic for sure as they have great appetites). All that and running the UV sterilizer I think my fish should be ok.
Kudos to you timbo for your responce. Thanks for your input.
Old 04-09-2003, 02:13 PM   #10

If the immune system is good and they are good eaters, they may ward it off themselves...???

Closed Thread

Tags
ick, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com