i think my coral beauty is dying :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulweck

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so i got home today and noticed my coral beauty wasnt looking good she didnt eat and was kinda floating around and not swimming. yesterday i moved some rocks around to provide a new home for my new gold headed gobi and im also trying to get my clowns to host this rock cave ive made them. do u guys think i stressed her out. all the rest of my fish are fine as far as i know. i wanna add since ive got my tank i only got 2 from petco that my sister bought and didnt look good when she bought them. one passed away a few weeks ago when i was away for 4 days over july 4.

my levels are
ph-8.2
Ammonia- 0ppm
nitrite-0ppm
nitrate-30 ppm
( i added a wet/dry filter with bio balls to my system 2 weeks ago i think is the reason my nitrates are so high)

Any ideas guys??????????
TIA
PaulWeck

i have 10 gallons of water mixing right now but need to wait till the water mixes for atleast 12 hours im not sure shes gonna make it through the night. i have my nitrates good for a few months doing a 15% pws every two weeks but onec ive added the wet/dry with the bio balls it started getting up higher should i take the bio balls out aswell

I'm so upset she passed over the night. I think I might of stressed her to death with the rescaping I did the other night. I added some stress coat last night to help but I'm now sure if it will help with my other fishes. But they all look fine

If you had 2 Coral Beauty in the same tank and they did not kill each other they were a mated pair and depending on how long they had been together may not live very long without the other one. Coral beauty suffer from shipping problems and if they settle down in a month or so they will live a very long time. The nitrate levels are on the high side but pygmy angelfish can live in fairly poor conditions without dying right away on less they were dropped into poor conditions like in a tank that has not completely cycled yet. I have one of them and love him more then any other fish I have ever had. Very sorry for your lose. Optimal nitrate levels in a fish only system is below 25ppm. In a reef keep them under 10ppm.

Ya I was able to keep the nitrate down but 2 weeks ago I installed my wet dry with bio balls filter I started noticing more of them I think it was s bad move using bio balls. But I don't think thats was the reason why she died

Bio balls are funny thing some times. I use them but the flow through them is very slow in the back side of my homemade refugium. I do not know if that helps you or not. Is this a reef tank or fish only.

Your right not a pygmy. Some more sensitive fish. I'm sure it is from shipping. This particular fish is notorious for problems getting to pet stores and only living a sort time at home even in a good working system. They also need lots of algae and some you will never see eat anything you put in the tank. It is however a long lived fish once acclimated.

Sorry to hear that,,but i agree with hackteck,,30ppm is not going to kill hardly any fish IMO

Ya I don't think that what killed her. She was a petco fish and I had her for about a month but she didn't look too healthy from the beginning.

Ya I don't think that what killed her. She was a petco fish and I had her for about a month but she didn't look too healthy from the beginning.
Thats funny,,but i'll be honest with you ,,,i have bought 5 fish from Petco ...The first 2 were my clowns 5 years ago,then my 6 line,the my yellow tang and my angler ..
I hear tons of people that knock petco,,but i think proper QT and food and vitamins are key for our new additions ...again i'm sorry your angel didn't make it

FTMMWS said:
Thats funny,,but i'll be honest with you ,,,i have bought 5 fish from Petco ...The first 2 were my clowns 5 years ago,then my 6 line,the my yellow tang and my angler ..
I hear tons of people that knock petco,,but i think proper QT and food and vitamins are key for our new additions ...again i'm sorry your angel didn't make it

I agree. Also very in portent to check over the fish before buying. I wanted a fish one time a petco and they scooped out one that did not look so good. I made them give me the healthy one instead. I still have him. Little clown the kids call flowder.

You'll have to rinse those bioballs everyfew days to help with keeping those nitrates down. I don't think the nitrates killed him but it sure didn't help. Sorry for the lose

Back
Top Bottom