Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-01-2005, 12:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

I think my fish is sick (pic)

My fish is acting weird and has white on his nose an on top of his eye
what can i do?

Old 03-01-2005, 01:11 AM   #2
steve-s

Could be a simple bacterial problem or if a recent addition, Brooklynella. Do the white areas look like cotton or a filmy substance?

How are the water parameters, actual numbers please?

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-01-2005, 10:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah i added a banded coral shrimp recently.

And yes it looks kinda slimey.

Water perameters are al normal except my ongoing fight with nitrate levels . They are sky high but have been that way for a while.

amonia=0
ph=8.0
nitrite=0
nitrate=160ppm

I have had a problem with the nitrate levels in all three of my tanks.

I have even tried a %50 water change on my nano cube with no drop in nitrate level. It sucks and i cant figure out why.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:23 PM   #4
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIFTER
Yeah i added a banded coral shrimp recently.
I actually ment the recent addition of the clown

Quote:
And yes it looks kinda slimey.
If you mean the clown, this would usually indicate either Brooklynella or less likely velvet. Brooklynella willl look like a cloudy substance is surrounding the fish. Treatment should consist of several SW formalin baths.

Quote:
nitrate=160ppm

I have had a problem with the nitrate levels in all three of my tanks.

I have even tried a %50 water change on my nano cube with no drop in nitrate level. It sucks and i cant figure out why.
8O 8O
Have you had this reading verified by the LFS or alternate test kit? That seems outrageously high. I would be more inclined to think something is amiss with the test kit or how it's being used. 160 ppm doesn't make sense.

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-02-2005, 07:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I know it is extremely high. The thing is all my tanks are that high i have 3 diffirent tanks: 12 gal nano, 120 gal fwlr, 30 fwlr

Once i tested some ro water from the fish store and it came out to close to 0 ppm so i think the test kit works.

i have pretty much given up on fixing the problem seeing as how i feel it is hopeless to get the numbers dow. It is frustrating not being able to fix the waters balance.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:30 PM   #6
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIFTER
i have pretty much given up on fixing the problem seeing as how i feel it is hopeless to get the numbers dow. It is frustrating not being able to fix the waters balance.
I wouldn't give up. PM me with as much tank detail and the maintenace/feeding routine as possible, I'll see if I can help.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
ick, pic, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com