I think my fish is sick (pic)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DRIFTER

Aquarium Advice Regular
My fish is acting weird and has white on his nose an on top of his eye
what can i do?
img_351277_0_3c3ea44f1bd9d29e38b99b311dbb1795.jpg

Could be a simple bacterial problem or if a recent addition, Brooklynella. Do the white areas look like cotton or a filmy substance?

How are the water parameters, actual numbers please?

Cheers
Steve

Yeah i added a banded coral shrimp recently.

And yes it looks kinda slimey.

Water perameters are al normal except my ongoing fight with nitrate levels . They are sky high but have been that way for a while.

amonia=0
ph=8.0
nitrite=0
nitrate=160ppm

I have had a problem with the nitrate levels in all three of my tanks.

I have even tried a %50 water change on my nano cube with no drop in nitrate level. It sucks and i cant figure out why.

DRIFTER said:
Yeah i added a banded coral shrimp recently.
I actually ment the recent addition of the clown :wink:

And yes it looks kinda slimey.
If you mean the clown, this would usually indicate either Brooklynella or less likely velvet. Brooklynella willl look like a cloudy substance is surrounding the fish. Treatment should consist of several SW formalin baths.

nitrate=160ppm

I have had a problem with the nitrate levels in all three of my tanks.

I have even tried a %50 water change on my nano cube with no drop in nitrate level. It sucks and i cant figure out why.
8O 8O
Have you had this reading verified by the LFS or alternate test kit? That seems outrageously high. I would be more inclined to think something is amiss with the test kit or how it's being used. 160 ppm doesn't make sense.

Cheers
Steve

I know it is extremely high. The thing is all my tanks are that high i have 3 diffirent tanks: 12 gal nano, 120 gal fwlr, 30 fwlr

Once i tested some ro water from the fish store and it came out to close to 0 ppm so i think the test kit works.

i have pretty much given up on fixing the problem seeing as how i feel it is hopeless to get the numbers dow. It is frustrating not being able to fix the waters balance.

DRIFTER said:
i have pretty much given up on fixing the problem seeing as how i feel it is hopeless to get the numbers dow. It is frustrating not being able to fix the waters balance.
I wouldn't give up. PM me with as much tank detail and the maintenace/feeding routine as possible, I'll see if I can help.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom