Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-13-2009, 12:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Question I think my Leather mushroom coral is dying.

When I first put the coral in the tank I seemed to be fine. It was starting to open up, and was looking healthy. I didn't like where I put it in the tank so I moved it. Ever since then it started going down hill. It started shrinking up and looks like it is dying. I figure maybe it didn't like the where I put it. So I moved it back in hopes that it would start looking better. But it still looks like it is going to die. Is it going to die, or is it just shedding?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1524.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	17434   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1525.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	17435  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1539.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	17436   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1536.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	17437  

Old 02-13-2009, 02:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'll wait for the experts to answer ...... but while we're waiting I can offer some of my experience with my leathers. They always retracted for a few days after handling them or moving them. If you have other corals in your tank you may want to get a turkey baster and 'blow off' the top of the leather and then run some GAC in your sump (assuming that you're using one). Ok coral guru's...chime in

Old 02-13-2009, 09:41 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Leather's typically slough a mucus/tissue in waste removal periodically so it is important that they receive adequate flow, enough to cause the polyps to sway (not blasted). Yours is not receiving adequate flow as you can see from the detritus buildup. I would also remove the bubble algae (outside of tank) from the base.
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:00 PM   #4

Thanks, that bubble algea was attached to the leather coral when I bought it. How would you recomend me to remove it? Because I don't want to do anything to hurt the coral. Thanks
Old 02-13-2009, 10:03 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I would take it out of the water and rub it off. If some are particularly difficult you can use a fingernail, tweezers, or toothbrush and then a quick rinse in either in fw or sw (a quick rinse in fw won't be problematic).
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:29 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I have several leathers in my tank. They go through a process called sloughing as James described. Mine will go through it about every two or three weeks. He`s probably doing better by now.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:46 PM   #7

Question

He's still not doing any better. I move him to a well circulated area. But it's been almost a week and it's still looks like it is going to die. The water conditions are fine. Everything else is doing just fine. Except for this anemone that die right after i got it in the mail. I just don't know what is going with this coral it's been almost a week.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:36 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yea make sure you dont burst the bubble algae or you might have a huge problem.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:44 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
What type of lighting do you have?
Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:31 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degonese View Post
He's still not doing any better. I move him to a well circulated area. But it's been almost a week and it's still looks like it is going to die. The water conditions are fine. Everything else is doing just fine. Except for this anemone that die right after i got it in the mail. I just don't know what is going with this coral it's been almost a week.
When you say water conditions are fine, please describe fine - in terms of chemical tests; specifically ammonia, nitrates, pH, and salinity. As previously stated, what type of lights do you have? What is your turnover of flow rate in the tank? What are you running for filtration and a power skimmer. Also, does it look the same or worse than it did? Hope you don't mind my asking all these questions, but this is need to know info to provide adequate help.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coral, dyi, dying, eat, leather, mushroom

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com