I think my Leather mushroom coral is dying.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Degonese

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When I first put the coral in the tank I seemed to be fine. It was starting to open up, and was looking healthy. I didn't like where I put it in the tank so I moved it. Ever since then it started going down hill. It started shrinking up and looks like it is dying. I figure maybe it didn't like the where I put it. So I moved it back in hopes that it would start looking better. But it still looks like it is going to die. Is it going to die, or is it just shedding?

Attachments

• IMG_1524.jpg
    IMG_1524.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 658
  • IMG_1525.jpg
    IMG_1525.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_1539.jpg
    IMG_1539.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_1536.jpg
    IMG_1536.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 194
I'll wait for the experts to answer ...... but while we're waiting I can offer some of my experience with my leathers. They always retracted for a few days after handling them or moving them. If you have other corals in your tank you may want to get a turkey baster and 'blow off' the top of the leather and then run some GAC in your sump (assuming that you're using one). Ok coral guru's...chime in

Leather's typically slough a mucus/tissue in waste removal periodically so it is important that they receive adequate flow, enough to cause the polyps to sway (not blasted). Yours is not receiving adequate flow as you can see from the detritus buildup. I would also remove the bubble algae (outside of tank) from the base.

Thanks, that bubble algea was attached to the leather coral when I bought it. How would you recomend me to remove it? Because I don't want to do anything to hurt the coral. Thanks

I would take it out of the water and rub it off. If some are particularly difficult you can use a fingernail, tweezers, or toothbrush and then a quick rinse in either in fw or sw (a quick rinse in fw won't be problematic).

I have several leathers in my tank. They go through a process called sloughing as James described. Mine will go through it about every two or three weeks. He`s probably doing better by now.

He's still not doing any better. I move him to a well circulated area. But it's been almost a week and it's still looks like it is going to die. The water conditions are fine. Everything else is doing just fine. Except for this anemone that die right after i got it in the mail. I just don't know what is going with this coral it's been almost a week.

He's still not doing any better. I move him to a well circulated area. But it's been almost a week and it's still looks like it is going to die. The water conditions are fine. Everything else is doing just fine. Except for this anemone that die right after i got it in the mail. I just don't know what is going with this coral it's been almost a week.

When you say water conditions are fine, please describe fine - in terms of chemical tests; specifically ammonia, nitrates, pH, and salinity. As previously stated, what type of lights do you have? What is your turnover of flow rate in the tank? What are you running for filtration and a power skimmer. Also, does it look the same or worse than it did? Hope you don't mind my asking all these questions, but this is need to know info to provide adequate help.

PH 8.2, ALK 2.8, NO3 15, NO2 .2, Ammonia .10, Salinity 1.023, and the temp. is 80. 48in. twin tube fluorescent lights, Fluva 305 filter with 265 gallons per hour flow rate. I don't have a protein skimmer. I have a Zoo Med powersweep wave maker.
My coral is looking worse. It had glimpse of when moved it to where there is more flow, but it started looking worse and worse ever since.

Attachments

• IMG_1551.jpg
    IMG_1551.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_1550.jpg
    IMG_1550.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 236
what? ammonia present, Nitrite present? that's no good and nitrate 15? hm.. I think you need to do more PWCs on this...

your water quality's not very good. You need to start doing immediate partial water changes. I'd do at least 30% every day until the ammonia, nitrate and nitrite are gone. Do you just have plain fluorescent tubes? not VHO? if so...your lighting may not be enough either. How old is the tank?
When did it cycle? Did you cycle it? Personally, I don't think you have enough LR in there looking at it. LR provides lots and lots of surfaces for the beneficial bacteria, that provide the denitrifiaction process, to thrive and live.

I agree the first order of buisness is some frequent PWC`s. Describe your lighting more. Are these just plain flourecent lighting?

I checked the lights and nothing says VHO, so my guess is the're just fluorescent. I started water the first PWC. Does my coral have a chance? Or should I just chalk it up for experience, and expect it to die?

How long has your tank been set up....? from the looks of things you might not done a cycle? Your system looks pretty new and your Live Rock does not look like it's enough to hold any beneficial bacteria.... Just wondering trying to get as much info from you as possible so we can all give you a hand.... :)

My tank has been set up for 18 days. I put the coral in about a week ago. I thought the first week you run your filter was the cycle?

I'll go to the store and get stronger lights.

Another problem, I've been checking the water before I've been putting it in. But it still has a small trace of ammonia, ..05-.10
and nitrite is at .1
What can I use to bring that down?

thats what I ment. I did the PWC, 40%, and every bucket I put in it has traces of Nitrate, Natrite, and ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom