I think my tang is dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hottievols

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys I have had my Naso Tang for a month now and I cam e home and he is sitting in some rock at the bottom of the tank. He appears to have lost alot of his color. I have 2 clownfish some snails, crabs and shrimp in the tank. Everything else seems fine.

ammonia-0
nitrite-0
ph-8.2
salinity-1.022
nitrate- 40ppm

What to do?

Meh, what other inhabitants do you have in the tank and how much live rock, if any, do you have. Tangs should be kept in 70G tanks minimum, and i think a naso tang should be kept in a bigger one to boot.

EDIT* A naso tang should kept in a minimum of 125 GALLONS. Should have read that before you bought it. They get to be over 1ft in length. So.. that is not a happy fish. Nor will it eve be in that tank. Sorry. Its probably really stressed out right now, and you have chances of getting ich like that. Then your whole tank will suffer. I would suggest returning that tang. Your tank is WAY too small.

Don't know if it will help but you should offer seaweed every day.

It does appear to be stressed. Does it have a sunken belly and is it eating at tank feeding time?

First thoughts include being harrassed by other tank-mates (not too likely since tangs tend to hold their own) or it is stressed due to space contraints. Honelsty, just not a good choice for a 60gal. Might be time to think about a trade in at the LFS.

I agree. Tank is way too small. If he is still eating try feeding seaweed every day. Moving to sick fish forum.

Does he have any white spots on him? Do you feed him anything else besides seaweed? I fed my Caribbean seaweed everyday soaked in garlic extreme and in the evening feed them a variety of frozen (Brine shrimp with spirulina, Mysis shrimp, Emerald entree) and mixed in some flake and pellet food as well. Unfortunately Ich took him away from us pretty fast this is why I asked the first question. Also how are all of your tank readings (Numbers please) and temp. Besides him being in too small of a tank as the others said I can't think of anything else at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom