Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-03-2003, 05:07 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

I want to start a nano reef!

Hi everyone,
I've been posting on the freshwater forums since I joined this site. I have a betta (had two, but now just one...I'll get another one soon!)

I've been researching SW for a month or so, mostly just reading all the SW articles and most of the posts. But this weekend is what settled it for me -- when Snapcrackler posted about how great his live rock shipment was, and Allivymar and Bearfan, FW advisors, are going SW!!

I have so many questions running thru my head -- I can't type them that fast! So I will organize my questions and ask just a few at a time! I probably won't set this tank up until next spring - summer. The room it will go in is the only room in the house that still has carpet, but we'll put hardwood in next spring. So it would be bad to set it up soon and have to worry about moving it to do the floor.

Here are some questions I have now, before my heart is set on this (well, too late! )

Is a 7 or 10 gallon too small for a nano-reef? There is a 7.4 gallon tank in the DrsFosterSmith catalog that says "great for nano-reefs".

Most important -- can all the stuff (there is a ton of SW stuff in DrsFosterSmith) that I need for the tank maintenance be ordered online? Due to horrible dog/cat/bird allegies, I stay away from pet stores as much as possible. It works out well for my betta, but I was wondering how it would work for SW. Aside from the initial purchase of the betta tank and equipment, the betta doesn't need much.

Thanks for reading this and I appreciate any tips you have!

Old 11-03-2003, 05:16 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Is a 7 or 10 gallon too small for a nano-reef?
No but they tend to be harder. Environmental changes will occur quickly, small tanks are less stable and need more attention than larger tanks. It is not the ideal size I would recommend for a first tank, but it is doable.

Quote:
Most important -- can all the stuff (there is a ton of SW stuff in DrsFosterSmith) that I need for the tank maintenance be ordered online?
Yes, I can't think of anything I use that I couldn't get online or in a local hardware store

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 05:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have also caught the Nano-Bug!

Right now I am planning my 10 gal., and I even ordered the lights this weekend... (hellolights.com) I am going to get everything except the tank and livestock online. BigAlsOnline.com has great prices compared to the LFS...

Take a look at nano-reef.com. There is a ton of useful information there regarding nano specific topics. But the people there aren't nearly as nice as here, so do your research before you post any questions! (I've seen some people get flamed for not researching their questions first!)

This will be my first foray into SW and I am really excited! Glad to have someone to share the nano set-up stories with!
Old 11-03-2003, 05:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The biggest problem with the nano-reef is evaporation. Depending on temp etc... you may need to top of the tank water every day. I have read where people hook up drip systems to keep the water level from dropping.

Also in a tank that size you will probably be able to only keep one fish. The saltys tend to be a little more territorial and aggressive.

nano-reef.com has great articles (as mentioned above) for setup and also has a list of suitable fish.
Old 11-03-2003, 05:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

<- Reefer_Buddha on nano-reef.com. Let me know if you need any help. I have 2 nano's up right now.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
I am also a bit interested in this area, but if I went with it, it wouldn't be for a while. What wattage would be required for a 10 gallon? Also what chemicals are used to mainatain these tanks.. My friend has a reef tank (75 gallons) and often there are different bottles of stuff.. like 7! But I don;t know what any of them do :P I've done freshwater foir about 2 years...
Old 11-03-2003, 06:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks biotoxin (reefer_buddha)!
Old 11-03-2003, 06:35 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Electrobes, the chemicals are the same for a nano as they would for a large reef tank. I use a lot of b-ionic, marine snow and kent marine makes good stuff. As for wattage do you mean lights? heater? I have a 50 watt jager and custom sea life pc's. The main concern (as posted above) is watching the water level and checking your water parameters often. I check mine about 2-3 times a week to make sure all the levels are good. Usually you can put 1 percula in a 7-10g tank and some inverts. No anemone's and possibly a clam if you have good lighting like mh's.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
you can't put any anemones at all? like bubble or candy anemones??
Old 11-03-2003, 06:38 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

If I did a nano, I would have a big ole sump/refugium to keep things extra safe (bigger than the nano)...

Or is that cheating?

Tags
nano, nano reef, reef, start

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com