Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-16-2002, 11:59 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
Ok, Im convinced it is benifitial. Thank you for explaining it to me and not thinking I was trying to cause trouble. Thats the best thing about the members of this forum

Any way, I have kept my tank at 76 degrees for a long time. Im going to try to jump it up to 82. I guess Ill just turn my heater up a little bit everyday till I get it where I want it. Now that I hear this stuff, I may get the courage up to get me another powder blue tang.

Old 12-17-2002, 10:34 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara

Life is all about courage .

Old 12-17-2002, 01:02 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just got back from seeing my LFS. He said to raise the temp. to about 84. He also said since my fish have very few spots on them to just observe for a few days. He also said I could do water changes of 3-4" for 3 days if I wanted. The temp. change should kill them off. He also said my water quality is my main problem right now. So there is not much I can do until my water gets right. I asked him how to get rid of it completely. He said that this is almost impossible without complete drainage. If your fish are healthy and not stressed and you can get the temp. up without bothering them then you will probably be successful. He also said it not unusual for ich to come back in the future for a couple of days, but healthy fish should shake it off.

I personnaly am going to get my water good and once my fish are ready to come out of quarantine put them back in and keep my temp. up and ALL new fish are getting the Q. tank treatment in the future.
Old 12-17-2002, 06:41 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Good points, but....

I've been posting a couple messages to this whole ICK situation and
reading even more. I currently have an ICK problem and just lost a yellow eyed tang due to it. I did not Q him right when i first got him allthough i was for warned that Tangs are a stressed out fish in captivity anyways. Im really anxious to try these methods of curing my problem cuz those are some dang good arguments. Simpler is better, but when ya love the dang fish so much... you DO almost want to spend some money to cure them. Im hoping for the best here and ill let ya know if the temp is gonna cure the main tanks problems. I AM, however, going to pull my Flame Angelfish (ICK's new host after the tang died) and Hospitalize him with cupramine. There are 4 others in my main and i assume the 6 lined Rass will probably be the most likely to become the Host after the flame is removed. Im going to bump up the temp to 83 or so and if i see no other problems ill post Thanks everyone for your brilliance!
Old 12-17-2002, 07:06 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to MaggiesGame
Why has no one mentioned this before??? I've never had the problem, but read about it constantly. This is the one reason I've been afraid of getting any really nice fish...afraid of losing it.
Old 12-18-2002, 12:04 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok, so if anyone has any doubts on the value of Q new fish we should direct them to this thread. Cured me of my doubts

I've been reading a lot about raising the temp, but what, if any dangers are there to this method. And why not do this in a healthy tank as a preventive? I've been keeping my temp at about 76 in my healthy tank, but I'm wondering if I should raise the temp or, raise the temp for a few weeks when introducing new fish.

This is important to me, since I'm just now establishing my tank. Presently 2 clowns doing great. but more to come of the coming months!!
Old 12-18-2002, 12:52 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would do everything to be preventative. Everybody I have talked to has said to keep my temp at 80 regardless. Right now it is 82-83 and my fish were ok.

I have since setup a Q. tank and I will leave it running for awhile. Its very convienient to just treat a fish in it, plus you can limit problems with your main tank as it is harder to cure.

I had a percula that had about 15 spots on it and I put it in a Q. tank with copper and I woke up the next morning and they were gone. So I know that it is getting better.

I would suggest asking alot of questions and do research if you are new to saltwater. My fish looked great for 2 weeks then all Heck broke louse.
Old 12-18-2002, 04:40 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I keep my tanks at 80-82 all the time
Old 12-18-2002, 07:14 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to SleeplessLwd
Along with raising the temp in your tank, it also helps to put a form of garlic made for aquariums in your tank. It doesn't cure the ich but it'll help prevent the problem. Ich is a parasite and unfortunately like it was mentioned in previous posts, it doesn't live in the water and it has to run the cycle and die off. I wouldn't add anything else to the tank for a while, until you're sure everything is under control. You might want to think about adding a cleaner shrimp to the tank in the future because they will eat the ich off the fish.
Old 12-18-2002, 07:40 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to enjoyfish
WOW! there is a lot of info here . why wasnt i told of this before . i keep all my tanks at 76 to 78 and had major ick problems .Im going to try 80 to 82 thanks joe

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com