Ich ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joelle2149

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone...I set up a 75 sw tank in October ( had a 55 in New jersey but moved to fl).....i bought it from someone and it had fish in it....the other day i added a immaculate puffer...one of the fish that was in the tank already i think is a damsel (all yellow) i think he is picking on the puffer (that is what started it)...anyway i noticed 1 spot on the botton fin.and possbly 1 on other fin i didnt have time to look good this morning..i have a uv and the guy at the lfs told me to not do anything....he said keep an eye on it and only treat if it gets worse...i have lost a whole tank to ick in the past so i am hesitant just to NOT do anything...however i have snails, 2 emrald crabs, 1 large hermit crab....so i cant add coppersafe...any advice? all of my levels are good i just had it tested...salt is a little low 102.0 THANKS

..so my question is what exactly do i do if i have invertsbrates and no qt? i have read that that "reef safe" treatment dosent work? please help :)

Last edited:
You answered your own Question. You should have QT'ed from the start.
Good luck with the QT.

It also seems that you will have a problem with that Damsel as it will stress any new member to your tank. You may have to deside which fish you want more...the damsel or any new fish you add. You could turn the lights off for a couple of days or rearrange your rock work or take the Damsel out and put him in a few days after your new fish.

IMO: Do what your lfs said.. Watch closely.. 1 grain does not an ich make.

While you're watching get a QT setup. It doesn't have to be a full blown tank. Get a small 15g tote or anything and start cycling it. Use your existing tank water from a water change. If you can't get filter media you night need to part with a small piece of your LR to get some bacteria in there (the LR will be trash after treating w/ copper).

Again, that's an emergency situation.. Long term you need to get yourself a small tank, small filter, small powerhead,etc etc.. Not having one will only cause problems down the road. As you may have already seen from not QT'ing the puffer.

Your options with ich are limited. Your options with ich and inverts/corals in the main are even less.

Your question was answered just not in the way you like. If it is ich something has to give.. Treat the main and probably/possibly lose everything but the fish. Treat in a QT and save the inverts/LR , save the fish (hopefully) and get that elusive QT (and your fish will have to stay in the QT for xx weeks ..I forget.. check the links..6 weeks?)

The Capt. is so correct. It reminds me of my Kole Tang. I thought it was ich only to find out that it was my bi-color pysdocromis spitting sand on to the Kole. LOL

Back
Top Bottom