Ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cunningham

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone it's bin a while since I posted last cuz everythin has bin goin super good now but the last few days I noticed a couple of my fish rubbin on the rocks and substrate and my royal gramma usually hangs out by the rocks and corals but it's bin swimming lots by the surface and then goes down to rub a bunch of times every day and the other fish do it sometimes too but not as bad and I don't see any spots on their fins or gills or face or anywhere but I'm worried and don't want my tank to die again cuz that was horrible so should I just go out and spend the $50 on a treatment? Or should I wait and see what happens?
They r eating and everything seems normal except the rubbing
Please help me
Thanks
Dan

Wow, that was 1 long sentence. I almost lost my breathe reading it. ;)

Not sure what treatment your talking about that costs $50. None of the so called "reef safe" treatments really work. If you want to cure ich you must remove all the fish, put them in a quarantine tank and treat them with copper. Use either Copper Safe or Cuprimine and get a proper copper test kits for which ever you decide to use.

I haven't added anything new and I have t done anything different and then the last few days I've noticed the one fish acting weird and this morning he has small spots on him but every other fish is fine so I don't understand how just the one fish can get it from nothing
I don't think removing all my fish will be possible cuz they hide in the rock and I got a trap but I doubt I would be able to catch all of them cuz once they seep a couple get caught they prolly won't go in it again
The stuff I was planning on buying is called Kick-Ich I think and it's reef safe
I have copper but like I said I think it would be way to hard to get the fish out without killin my corals by takin the rocks out
What do I do? Should I go try the treatment?
I'm Leavin in a week for a week to jamaica and my buddy is gonna be wAtchin my fish and many other creatures in my house so I'd hate to come home to an empty aquarium :(
Would it even make sence to catch the sick fish and quarantine it and treat it with copper? And maybe just do the kick Ich treatment on the rest of the tank?
Please help me

All tanks have organisms that will attack fish that are stressed and have lost their slime coating. Even with UV sterilization, the organisms still are in the water column and live rock. The root of the problem is the stress and what caused it. Sometimes adding chemical cures causes even more stress. I sure would not treat the whole tank. Instead I would advise removing the sick fish if possible and do a series of careful water changes.

I have a trap so maybe I'll catch the lil bugger and and stick him in my quarantine tank for A lil bit then and watch him
U don't think that would stress it more though Eh?

Good point
Well I got the trap in the water and I squished some food and a few fish went in but not the one I want
But give it a few days and he will I hope
But here's a pic of my homemade trap I built

Attachments

• image-1128049207.jpg
    image-1128049207.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 86
I'm Leavin in a week for a week to jamaica and my buddy is gonna be wAtchin my fish and many other creatures in my house so I'd hate to come home to an empty aquarium :(
Would it even make sence to catch the sick fish and quarantine it and treat it with copper? And maybe just do the kick Ich treatment on the rest of the tank?
Please help me

Any reliable treatment for ich is going to take more than a week, and needs daily monitoring. With that said, I don't really have a good suggestion given you upcoming trip to Jamaica. (Except have a good time!) How long you gonna be gone? Personally, I wouldn't start any treatment before leaving. It's never good to do something in a rush and then leave it. Bad things happen that way.

My buddy would just continue the treatment or whatever method I go with he's good with that stuff he's gone through it before
But I got the trap in for day 2 now and 3 of my fish will go in and eat but not the one I want so I'll give it time
I'm pumped to goto Jamaica but Id be happier if that fish was better

Back
Top Bottom