Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-25-2011, 05:08 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

yep, just can't use the ammonia remover media in saltwater. So carbon, sponge or whatever. How are you intending on treating the ich? Hyposalinity or with cupramine?

Old 09-25-2011, 05:11 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
yep, just can't use the ammonia remover media in saltwater. So carbon, sponge or whatever. How are you intending on treating the ich? Hyposalinity or with cupramine?
Not sure just yet. What would be easiest? Do filters normally come with ammonia remover? Is it something I need to take out? Thanks.

redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:14 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Not that I know of, you need to stay away from zeolite as media I beleive it's called. if you get an aquaclear for example you won't have to worry about it as that is not included with the original media with the filter.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:16 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
Not that I know of, you need to stay away from zeolite as media I beleive it's called. if you get an aquaclear for example you won't have to worry about it as that is not included with the original media with the filter.
Ok. I will try to find an aquaclear. As far as cycling goes.....all I need to do is fill it up will water from my DT, correct? Or should I include one of my filter pads?
Old 09-25-2011, 05:19 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

if you include anything from your main tank youre kinda just moving the ich over to the qt as well. Thats' just my thought though, not really 100% sure. the water isn't gonna have much beneficial bacteria in it anyways.

if you treat with copper, or cupramine you have to do water changes daily I believe anyways so you shouldn't have an issue with ammonia as you'll be removing it daily. not so sure about doing hypo salinity though. I haven't done any of these things I only know from what I read here.

if you are gonna be treating with meds like copper make sure you have a copper test kit.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:56 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

If your going to do hyposalinity, it will help acclimate the fish in the new tank if you use the water from your DT. Then drop the salinity slowly. Don't worry about the ich in the water (DT to QT), your fish already have it and the low salinity will make it die off after awhile.

I'm doing this right now...about to start in on week two of four

30g FOWLR Tank
8g Mantis Shrimp Tank
all4wheels2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:25 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, so I am home from Petco. I didn't buy anything yet, because I need to process all this info LOL. Thanks everyone for the help!
Old 09-25-2011, 06:40 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4wheels2 View Post
If your going to do hyposalinity, it will help acclimate the fish in the new tank if you use the water from your DT. Then drop the salinity slowly. Don't worry about the ich in the water (DT to QT), your fish already have it and the low salinity will make it die off after awhile.

I'm doing this right now...about to start in on week two of four
Exactly ,,also ,if you use copper you can not run the carbon ,it will remove it...IME and IMO hypo is the best
FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:45 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

ok. keep in mind most people on these forums are providing you their opinion not facts.
fact:
-qt water should never come from ur dt or you will transfer disease
-qt will be empty; only fish & filter
-medicate with quik cure or formalin based med from lfs
-med is not 100% depending type of disease and ur fish willpower to survive treatment. process is 50/50
-run a internal filter or powerhead for oxygen. do not use carbon in filter

btw, i just completed a qt 2.5gal with 2 clownfish and 1 chromis for 1 month. only 1 clownfish and chromis survived treatment that i have returned to dt with inverts but note at 3wk mark nemo started eating again which was a good sign. if you do research; disease will approx take 2wk to die off after its dormancy and that is why you'll hear people say they wait 6-8wk with no fish in dt. if you have a fish in dt that fish is the carrier

good luck
Old 09-25-2011, 09:04 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Poor redsea's head has got to be spinning by now
Using DT water to fill your QT is fine ,and even better..The temp ,PH and salinity is a perfect match ...Once you start hypo it doesn't matter anymore(already stated above) Hypo should be used over meds IME and IMO(if being treated for ich and only ich) ,,much more relaxing for the fish and 0 risk of over dosing..QT can be left empty ,but not a must...i say put a couple rocks in for the fish and i do..
I have been doing the same QT and hypo process for 6 years
Ich does not die in 2 weeks and has been thought to live for up to 6 weeks.
Leave DT fallow for 8 weeks

FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com