ICH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Kraken

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I'm pretty much screwed I think. I have a 150gallon reef tank that's been running great! Coming up on a year now. I have 2 ocellaris clowns, diamond goby, lawnmower blenny, royal gramma, convict tang, blue hippo tang, blonde naso tang, and a powder brown tang. Just bought paired fire wrasses and a fairy wrasse. All 3 had been in store for while, eating, doing well. Getting along great in my tank with other members. Everybody eating and playing well. 2 weeks later in my tank I noticed powder brown with a white spot, but didn't look like ich to me. Went away for 5 days (have a fish sitter that feeds them but doesn't know much more about a tank). When I came back...more white spots on my powder brown. Then my blue hippo came out from behind her rock and looked like she had a cocaine problem!! White all over. Assuming this is ich? If it were velvet my whole tank should have been dead when I got back right?
So here's my problem...I have no QT. Well, I have no QT set up. I have a 20 gallon tank that's never been used. I would like to do hyposalinity but how am I going to get all these fish into 20 gallons? My tangs are not that big but still a dozen fish in 20 gallons? Started treating flagyl in my frozen mysis shrimp, everybody gobbling it up, luckily. So far nobody seems to be acting funny or sick. I have noticed minimal spots on blonde naso and gramma.
I still consider myself extremely new to this hobby. Any quick advice on how to set up this QT tank and what size you recommend and filters and aerators and light I need in it will be helpful.

If a 20g is all you have then use it,i would put some sand from your DT to help cycle the QT,mix up loads of fresh salt water for the multiple water changes you will need to do,
Do you have any filter media in your DT that you can add to the QT,again to help with keeping levels down,
Heater,small powerhead and filter.
the fish will need to be out of the dt for 8 weeks so a 40g would be better,

Guess this topics been beaten to death and that's why not a big response. I've been treating the water with flagyl and food and all getting better!!!

I think if you'd been more specific with your title, you might have gotten more of a response. There are probably 20,001 "ich" threads on the forum. It probably makes it easier to walk past them.

I would've stopped by earlier, but don't know about marine ich, so I skipped by.

Glad to hear that everyone is doing well. (y)

Hey Mel, thanks for posting the links! I've seen you post those on every "ich" thread and have been to them already. However, your link to part 1 is dead. It takes me nowhere. Would love to read it as the 2nd part is excellent. Can't seem to find part 1 though.

I expected a lack of reply and I would brush over it as well as there a million posts. Should have titled it different I, you're right. I called my LFS and they said it probably wasn't brought in by my wrasses I just got as they aren't usually carriers of ich. So I guess it was just lying dormant and the stress of new fish brought it out? However, I did see a spot on the male flame wrasse. Soooooo who knows.

LFS told me to dose flagyl, which I had on hand. They said since the fish are eating well and not acting weird then keep them in DT for now. So I have been dosing the flagyl in the water every other day and one spoonful on my thawed mysis shrimp every time I feed. So now Blue Hippo looking less powdery, and powder brown is pretty much cleaned off! Guess I'll stick with this method as it seems to be working and will treat the water for a while to get rid of remaining ich in tank hopefully. All my corals seem to be ok with the meds as well.

I know this is probably not the best way to treat ich but it is one way and is working. For now at least. And it's the least amount of trouble. Next time I will definitely QT!!!!

Thanks for letting me know. I`ll have to wait till I get home to repost it. IMO there is no better link on ich. I`ll post soon the dead one.

Back
Top Bottom