Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-22-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

ich

i had a coral beauty with ich,now it seems what ever i put in there they die.i only have a dart fish and he looks fine.is my tank infected?the dart fish stays in the middle so maybe thats why he is alright.shoulkd i do the temperture thing to kill it

Old 01-22-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Temperature doesn't work on marine ich. Is your tank a reef tank?

Old 01-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

no,comm
Old 01-22-2012, 10:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

My Coral Beauty also came down with ich very shortly after i brought her home, and not having a good QT process in place my tank quickly came down with ich. I did lots of research on methods and it seemed only two were truly effective in eradicating the parasite. Copper or Hypo. I chose Hypo and bought two tanks moved all my fish from my DT and began lowing the salinity in the QT my fish were in hypo for 14 weeks, longer than the 8 to 10 weeks usually necessary but i only want to do this once. Yesterday i put them back in the DT. I lost a Pearl Scale Butterfly the day before i put them in hypo and also lost a Flame Angel as a result of poor handling switching between tanks, Still not over that error. I will be very diligent with my QT process moving forward. If you choose hypo prepare to do a little work every other day or so. Good Luck
Old 01-22-2012, 11:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

i have cupramine.so should i put this in my tank for 2 weeks and it should kill it?i guess i take the filters out and put new ones in in two weeks.it doesnt say anything about water changes
Old 01-22-2012, 11:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I chose not to go with copper so I am not sure, sorry. Keep in Mind once you introduce copper in the system it will always be there to some extent as I understand it. Also it is stressful to your fish so follow the instructions closely. I know most of my research said pretty unanimously that you should not treat your DT or you might never be able to keep inverts again use a QT it looked like you might of had a shrimp in one of your pic he has to go he won't survive the treatment I would strongly suggest fish to a QT treat copper there and let the DT sit 8 weeks fish less. Then QT all new arrivals after that.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

i only have a dart fish in the tank.my question is ,if my main tank has ich in it im gonna have to put cupramine in the main to kill what ever is killing my fish right or wrong
Old 01-23-2012, 12:11 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Not if you leave it fish less for min of 8 weeks the parasites life span. It can't live without a host. Leave your shrimp in he is ok only remove your fish. I had mine out 14 weeks for good measure. Besides a smaller QT will be more cost effective less water vol to treat easier to maintain target parameter of copper. I know 8 weeks sounds worst than 2 weeks but again once DT has copper it can't house inverts no shrimp crabs corals take the time do it right do it once. Good luck
Old 01-23-2012, 12:14 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

so i keep everything running without fish,i dont need water changes do i?
Old 01-23-2012, 12:29 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

No you shouldn't need water changes in your DT, keep your shrimp fed turn your light on and off business as usual need to keep your bio filter going. Depending on the size of your QT you may need to do a few watch your water quality. One fish probably not a big issue. Oh and don't cross contaminate during entire process that's nets, test tubes, cups, algae scrapers ect. Even your Hands, where gloves is best two pair one for working in QT one for working in DT. Ok I think by now you think I am crazy but trust me if your diligent you will rid yourself of this and with proper QT it will never be a problem again.

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com