Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-27-2004, 02:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ICH!!!!

My hawkfish has ich, he has white spots spread out on his body and they are pretty bright, the only thing I know of getting rid of it is flush him Poor guy, I dont want to add the copper cuz the inverts in there, the thing that stumps me is that I got him about 4weeks ago My teach says that it is caused by temp what on earth do I do??? I asked my dad about a qt tank but he said hes no way spending $1000 on a qt

Old 04-27-2004, 02:26 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

flushing is NOT a cure.

QT tanks do NOT cost very much money at all. All you need for a QT is a small 10 gallon tank, a HOB filter with a sponge and a heater. Thats all you need for a QT.

Set up the HOB on your main tank with the sponge filter so the sponge can absorb some bacteria. Then put water from your main tank into the QT and move the HOB to the QT as well.

Put your fish into the QT and treat just the QT tank until the Ich is cured.

You MUST leave your main tank absent of fish for... I can't remember the duration, but I believe it is at least 3 weeks to be sure the ich dies off.

After that, acclimate your fish back to your main tank's water and temperature.

Old 04-27-2004, 02:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I got a penguin 330 hob with ceramic rings and chemi pure they make up for the baskets. So I take a sponge from my already established tank and squeeze it into the qt??? Thanks hope my dad will accept the idea of the qt tank
Old 04-27-2004, 02:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

i bought a 12 gal ECLIPSE tank for $120.00 that included the filter lights and heater.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

i bought a 12 gal ECLIPSE tank for $120.00 that included the filter lights and heater.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Aint got eclipse tanks up here where i am at, I dunno why. For 73$ my lfs has a 20gal with everything xept they dont have a sw filter, its like a fw setup but I could use the light and he tank and just set aside the other stuff that is for a fw
Old 04-27-2004, 02:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

do a google search for eclispe fish tanks... you will find many
Old 04-27-2004, 02:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yea, but I cannot get any off the internet
Old 04-27-2004, 02:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a great article on this if you would like to read it. Just click on my site and go to the educational section. Its towards the bottom, and is called "marine ich."

1. Temp does not cause ich. It has to be present in the water already.

2. Leaving the tank fallow for 4-5 weeks will be enough to kill it off in the main tank.

3. The life cycle of the parasite is 4 weeks. QT him for 5 and treat him and you can put him back in the tank provided he is spot free.

I would suggest the article. It is much more detailed and it covers all of the major treatments for ich.

Squishy

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 05:15 PM   #10

I didn't see this coming ..... Im just curious, but where you live does everything cost 1000.00?

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com