Ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I picked up some copper treatment for the hospital tank and copper test kits all I need now is some PVC piping to throw in it and project ich destruction is on! Is it ok to do copper and hypo or only do one or the other?

Definitely only do one or the other. Combining them both will kill fish.

So I picked up some copper treatment for the hospital tank and copper test kits all I need now is some PVC piping to throw in it and project ich destruction is on! Is it ok to do copper and hypo or only do one or the other?

I would do copper, Its worked well for me

So I have been dosing copper in my hospital tank and have been using a salifert copper test kit...I can't get a copper reading...and woke up to see that the butterfly was dead..have a hob with no carbon filter...any help would be appreciated

I fresh water dip my fish every time they get bad ich and not one of them have died. I recommend next time doing the fresh water dip for 15 minutes. I do mine in a five gallon bucket with same temp water, buffer, prime, and sometimes will add kick ich treatment but kick ich is better if used in the whole tank.

Sorry about your butterfly, they can be a sensitive fish so it might have been too late to save him.

i have always found salifert tests to be very accurate....perhaps you didnt add enough copper medication? Did you follow the instructions to a tee?

Thank you Carey ...that butterfly had more character than all the other fish in the tank...the salifert test was probably one of the easier test kits to use and understand and followed it to the tee...just added another 32 drops and I am going to retest in 30 min...it's now at double the dosage..I don't think I'll be doing the freshwater dips though or using any of those instant ich cures....too much stress on the fish and it doesn't get rid of the ich in my dt and I don't trust the LFS insta cures...next time I'll do the lowered salinity procedure...I just didn't have a refractometer yet so I did the copper :(

So butterfly death spiked my hospital tank...lost 2 blue/green chromis and some type of grunt or snapper ...pulled remaining fish to a 5 gal water change bucket that was meant for my DT that was ready to go (temp,PH,salinity)...had to do a 50% water change to lower ammonia and put fish back in hospital tank...now copper levels are low again and I have to re treat tank...uggggggg....this was right after I got a good reading on copper levels...the ocean is kicking my butt

What copper med are you using? It's possible that the double dose of meds killed your fish.

I'll have to check when I get home...levels weren't even registering till I did another dose then read exactly where they needed to be at .50
The ammonia levels were really high when I checked before the emergency water change...I should have checked ammonia yesterday ...kicking myself in the butt...the butterfly couldn't have been dead in the water for more than 5-6 hours...could it raise ammonia that quick?

Back
Top Bottom