Ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, I know she isn't healthy. Should I treat with hypo salinity or copper treatment?

Has anyone heard of ich-x or ich attack? I have those readily available. Otherwise I have to order something because I don't think any stores locally have any other copper based treatments.

Also, is it weird for the visible stage to come and go?

I have a blue hippo with ick is it true that freshwater can help

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Supposedly though I have never done it and don't really know much about it. Hopefully someone can chime in on that.

In the meantime research it! Google freshwater dip for marine fish. There are a couple YouTube videos on it as well.

Ifa fish is so heavily infested with ich, and I mean really bad and you think death is immenent, I would consider a freshwater dip. Only as a last resort. It can help the ich drop from the fish and help him breathe easier, as ich attaches itself to his gills and causes the fish alot of stress just trying to breathe. BUT if you have just a few ich dots I would pass on the dip, it can hurt more than it can help. The dip will stress the fish out badly and should only be considered a last resort, at least in my opinion. Removing the fish, all the fish even those not showing signs to a separate tank and treating with hypo salinity is a great option. You could do that or treat with copper. Just have to have a copper test on hand so you know you arent poisioning the fish and making matters worse. It also will show you that you have the proper amount of copper in the tank, too little and you are wasting your time. Hypo salinity will help the ich to fall off the fish and give him fighting chance. I would not do both though. If using hypo treatment a refractometer is the best way to monitor the salinity. I have not had ich myself but have read enough on this very site to know what needs to be done. I believe you can dropthe salinity pretty quickly,but its the raising of it that requires it to be done slowly over several days.
Keep in mind you have to leave the fish in treatment for 8-10 weeks to be absolutely sure it is gone. That means NO new fish in the tank during that time as well. It can take ich 8-10 weeks to be completed killed off in the main tank. Better safe than sorry. Last thing you want to do is rush it and have it come back stronger than it was.
Good luck to you both!

Do not treat the tank with meds. You have to remove them if you want to treat them. Also, I would not raise or drop the temp. It will not fix your problem as far as I have seen.

Back
Top Bottom