Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-22-2015, 10:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ich?

How do I go about treating ich? I've introduced a yellow watchman goby into my tank without quarantining him (I know, I know) and I think he's got ich.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The only way is to pull all the fish out and treat them in a separate tank while leaving the display fishless for at least 6 weeks although 9 weeks recommended.

For treating the fish there's a ton of methods out there including hyposalinity, copper, formalin, and the list goes on.

Take a read of this link: Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Old 01-28-2015, 11:52 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Turns out the little bugger did a dive in the sand before I looked at him. He's fine - as are all the other fish. Been monitoring them since and no signs of any white spots

Phew!
Old 01-28-2015, 11:56 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

yeah the sand can cause a false ich id, glad hes okay!
Old 02-09-2015, 02:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok so my Royal gramma emerged this morning for his food covered in ich. He's the only one affected visually. Someone suggested I try Kordon Ich Attack as it won't harm my inverts. Should I try this route or a copper treatment?

If I go with copper this was my plan:

I'm moving the inverts into a separate tank. I'm putting the fish into a separate tank to treat them in. I'm also going to put the live rock and sand into the new tank I'm already cycling (since ich needs a live host I'm assuming that should be fine and I don't want the copper to leach into either one)

I'm not going to integrate anyone for at least 6 weeks. Does this sound good?
Old 02-09-2015, 05:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok now I'm a tad confused. I look back two hours later and what I was positive was ich is now gone?

Is the sand playing tricks on me or can the visible stage of ich have that short of a life? Couple of hours?
Old 02-09-2015, 05:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyxandria View Post
Ok now I'm a tad confused. I look back two hours later and what I was positive was ich is now gone?

Is the sand playing tricks on me or can the visible stage of ich have that short of a life? Couple of hours?

I'm no expert but I know ick does not just "come and go" unless your temp is way high like 85-90(that will kill ick) the ick would remain visible. I'd say they really like your sand :p

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick problems/loach and 5 tetras left.
~75g going to be African cichlids
Old 02-09-2015, 05:33 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hmmm. My temperature is 80.

I'll do a couple extra water changes and keep an eye on them I suppose.

It was strange, I've dealt with freshwater ich before and I was sure that it was but I guess like they say, it does look like grains of sand. And I do have sand.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:43 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My chromis has this spot on it - it's been there a few days and I've assumed it was an injury. Any thoughts?

And my clown keeps going up to my peppermint shrimp like this?

Sorry for the worried mama bajillion questions/concerns I just want to make sure everything is A-OK.

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com