Ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alyxandria

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How do I go about treating ich? I've introduced a yellow watchman goby into my tank without quarantining him (I know, I know) and I think he's got ich.

Turns out the little bugger did a dive in the sand before I looked at him. He's fine - as are all the other fish. Been monitoring them since and no signs of any white spots :)

Phew!

Ok so my Royal gramma emerged this morning for his food covered in ich. He's the only one affected visually. Someone suggested I try Kordon Ich Attack as it won't harm my inverts. Should I try this route or a copper treatment?

If I go with copper this was my plan:

I'm moving the inverts into a separate tank. I'm putting the fish into a separate tank to treat them in. I'm also going to put the live rock and sand into the new tank I'm already cycling (since ich needs a live host I'm assuming that should be fine and I don't want the copper to leach into either one)

I'm not going to integrate anyone for at least 6 weeks. Does this sound good?

Ok now I'm a tad confused. I look back two hours later and what I was positive was ich is now gone?

Is the sand playing tricks on me or can the visible stage of ich have that short of a life? Couple of hours?

Ok now I'm a tad confused. I look back two hours later and what I was positive was ich is now gone?

Is the sand playing tricks on me or can the visible stage of ich have that short of a life? Couple of hours?

I'm no expert but I know ick does not just "come and go" unless your temp is way high like 85-90(that will kill ick) the ick would remain visible. I'd say they really like your sand :p

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick problems/loach and 5 tetras left.
~75g going to be African cichlids

Hmmm. My temperature is 80.

I'll do a couple extra water changes and keep an eye on them I suppose.

It was strange, I've dealt with freshwater ich before and I was sure that it was but I guess like they say, it does look like grains of sand. And I do have sand.

My chromis has this spot on it - it's been there a few days and I've assumed it was an injury. Any thoughts?

img_3157179_0_83303f4221ee80f326a83b6cb2e8c7f7.jpg

And my clown keeps going up to my peppermint shrimp like this?

img_3157179_1_69ee1966411967a5451a4e724966650d.jpg

Sorry for the worried mama bajillion questions/concerns I just want to make sure everything is A-OK.

Just in my experiences with ick, if you have it, you will know it...quickly. I can't say if they same is true for saltwater though.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick problems/loach and 5 tetras left.
~75g going to be African cichlids

Yeah I agree on that with freshwater but I am new to saltwater lol.

Anyone have any thoughts on that dark spot on my chromis? (scroll up)

Ok this fish is driving me crazy.

img_3158556_0_73d9ccc40aed3ab2b159639335e4b7ff.jpg

img_3158556_1_122360bb14b3e0d2eeac6812a58c185a.jpg

Gone yesterday, back tomorrow. This pic was right when I turned the lights on and this fish sleeps near the sand.

Ich or sand???

Hard to tell from a pic honestly, but if you've seen it a couple times id assume ich. Pull the fish and treat them all with either copper or hypo salinity. No need to pull the inverts or rock out of the DT, just leave it fish less for 8-10 weeks and the ich will run its cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It still looks like sand to me tbh. But with his coloration there is something wrong with him.

Yeah I was wondering about the coloration before any of this popped up.

Someone suggested a freshwater dip? Which probably terrifies me more than it would the fish...

Should just go with the assumption that it IS ich and treat for it?

Yeah I was wondering about the coloration before any of this popped up.

Someone suggested a freshwater dip? Which probably terrifies me more than it would the fish...

Should just go with the assumption that it IS ich and treat for it?

Actually, when I was first getting into the hobby I had a bad ich infestation myself. Most of which affected my clowns. They were covered badly enough that I was worried they would die. A freshwater dip worked quite well on them, although the aftereffects scared me the first time. They get a little shocked by the rapid change in salinity and laid there at the bottom of the tank for a minute or so. It's not something I would suggest regularly, but I am sure it saved my clowns lives.

They are still happily swimming around 2 years later :)

Ok so I go back right now and this is what I see: (I took those first pictures minutes before I posted, and these pictures just two minutes ago)

img_3158584_0_44060575d75f5be77a7b6588866a4a2a.jpg

img_3158584_1_5a62b51e305a29aa74d672968c09018b.jpg

This fish is toying with me!!!

You fish still isn't healthy. The coloration is pale in patchy areas. I'd stick with the belief of ich and that it has simply moved on into a different life stage, as we only see one of three which is the cyst phase.

Back
Top Bottom